NC Angler Forums banner

Automatic fly reels in Australia

725 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  OZ Angler 
#1 ·
Over the last few years, I've bought 5 auto fly reels on ebay, a Heddon, Perrine, Garciamatic, Truetemper and a Southbend. They all get used and I really like them, especially for trout fishing fishing in small creeks and small stocked lakes. They get some weird looks from other fly fishers as auto fly reels never caught on in Australa. I think it might be fly fishing conservatism, as they are very practical when used within their limitations. I use "normal" reels when there's a chance of larger trout or carp but for pretty well all the fishing I do they work fine for me. Do any others have a liking for auto fly reels?

Cheers,
Steve.

#2 ·
got my dads old Green Perrine.....nice looking real....I also have his old Daiwa "minispin" which I just respooled and was planning on catching some bream and doing a blog post about his old reel. maybe now I will fish with both.

#3 ·
Which model is your dads Perrine? Mine is the Model 51 and have to agree that it's a nice looking reel with the green spring cover and red lever extension. The line capacity on this one isn't great--the box that came with mine was a little optimistic on line capacity. I settled on half a DT6 with about twenty yards of backing--more than enough for any small creek fishing that I do. WF4 fits also but no backing, again not a problem for most of my fishing.
Fish both of your dads reels and write a blog post on the experience. I'd be very interested to read it.
Cheers,
Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.