NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys...need some more help.

I'm coordinating the Fishing Derby for my son's Cub Scout Pack. I have one corporate sponsor that has donated some cash to buy prizes. For each rank(age group) Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelo there will be a "Biggest" and "Most" award. Anyone that doesn't win one of those is eligible for other prizes. I will have approximately 4 or 5 additional awards. I need ideas. This is what I have so far.

• The boys will be making some homemade lures, so we'll let the fish judge that one "Best Homemade Lure"
  • Biggest Fish "That Got Away" (must be witnessed)
  • Sportsman (for best attitude/most determined)
I need 3 or 4 more ideas...let's hear 'em! If anyone has prizes or trinkets they would like to donate, let me know. We don't turn down much:).
Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the "judge's choice" award to factor in difficulty and I really appreciate the suggestions. I kinda shooting for awards to give a couple kinds that didn't necessarily catch the best fish, but busted their rear-ends all the same. That's where the Biggest Fish "That Got Away" award came from. Keep the ideas coming, I need all the help I can get. Thanks again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I second Hampsteads suggestion about the first fish. Whenever I take the family fishing we award a candy bar on the way home to whoever catches the first fish. This really gets my son into the game.

Perhaps you could have a catagory for weirdest or wackiest catch i.e.; boot, stick, rock, frog???? One of the kids are bound to pull out something strange.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A prize for the biggest stick?? WHERE DO I SIGN UP??!!

:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somebody suggested target casting for an award, but I like "Best Bird's Nest". That's one down. Thanks Rye.

I'm still looking for a couple "no talent require" or "feel good" awards.

I had somebody else suggest the "Driest Shoes" award. The boys always end wet and muddy. But that's what being a boy's all about, right?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here we go again!

To quote Arlo Guthrie, "...and then he came up with a third possibility, I hadn't even thought about." This past weekend I took the family to Jordan Lake to scope out our Fishing Derby Location. The facility is perfect, covered shelter in case of rain, nice picnic tables/areas, a BBQ Pit and a bathroom building to make any Mama happy. But, we fished for 3+ hours and all we saw were 2 bites. We had night crawlers and live minnows. I threw most of what I had in the tacklebox, even the Electric Chicken! and nothing!

:eek: WHAT IF THE 30 to 50 KIDS DON'T CATCH ANY FISH?!?!?!?!?!:eek:

I need some suggestions for "fishing related" activities the boys can do to earn prizes and stay occupied.

I have 1:
Casting Contest, Farthest and Most Accurate

Any other ideas:confused:? Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.