NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some topwater casting with a yamakoto sexy shad plug.

Around 8PM, the monster hit.

First 30 seconds it went in all different directions, then booked it straight away for deeper water. My spinner reel was pulling out. I did not have the drag? locked.

Then it came back toward me and skirted the shore. I had it right at my feet, maybe 4 feet of line as it swam past me. It had to be 28 inches. Not a lot of girth, probably a male, strong as ****.

Two seconds later it shook off the lure. I honestly was caught off guard and was not sure how I was going to get it on land. Sorry for the crappy ending haha.

Still, it was an awesome experience. I'll get him soon.

Clark

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
One thing about a trophy fish. If there is any weakness in your gear or setup they will exploit it. Better luck next time.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
First 30 seconds it went in all different directions, then booked it straight away for deeper water. My spinner reel was pulling out. I did not have the drag? locked.

Clark
You don't want to have your drag locked. If it was a big fish and as strong as you describe the fight would've likely been even more short lived. They'll break the line if you don't have you reel set where they can pull some line and eventually tire out. Keep that line tight. To land a heavy bass try to get her tired out and get her near shore. Grab that bottom lip with your thumb and you got her! With a heavy fish though make sure to support her midsection as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
One thing about a trophy fish. If there is any weakness in your gear or setup they will exploit it. Better luck next time.
Ain't that the truth. I'm OCD with my equipment and still have breakoffs when an unexpected big fish hits. That's what makes it fun though!

Reactions: h2ohhh

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't want to have your drag locked. If it was a big fish and as strong as you describe the fight would've likely been even more short lived. They'll break the line if you don't have you reel set where they can pull some line and eventually tire out. Keep that line tight. To land a heavy bass try to get her tired out and get her near shore. Grab that bottom lip with your thumb and you got her! With a heavy fish though make sure to support her midsection as well.
Great point. Come to think of it, it wasnt the drag that lost me the fish, I'm sure it wouldve snapped off much earlier had it been locked. BTW, that trout pic is beauteous. Why do I love that net so much?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Great point. Come to think of it, it wasnt the drag that lost me the fish, I'm sure it wouldve snapped off much earlier had it been locked. BTW, that trout pic is beauteous. Why do I love that net so much?
Thanks. I love that net too. The hooks don't get snagged in it hardly at all (hasn't happened yet). Why you love it? Not sure. Let me know when you've solved that mystery!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts