NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the keys in june and hired a guide for 1 day back in june, Think i posted something on it but i didnt post the rig. He had live pinfish and live shrimp which we pinched the tail off then threaded them on a 3/8 oz white jighead. This rig caught pretty much everything out there,

we caught Tarpon, red drum, black drum, snapper, sheepshead, barracuda, and some pesky saltwater catfish .
This rig has to work in nc for black and red drum plus sheepshead and probably is a killer on flounder. I used to saltwater fish alot in the 80's and early 90's. mainly pier and surf and I can tell you this rig will catch flounder off a pier. In the eighties I used to fish with a bunch of old guys at the cherry grove pier and I have never seen a better bunch of flounder fisherman. they wore the flounder out of old daiwa millionaires and stiff bass rods. other than a millionaire being my first baitcaster those old guys are the reason why i collect and still fish with millionaires. I hate to say it but all are probably long gone now but wish i would of tried this back in the eighties.

I just may take Turtlestew up on his offer and this will be what i am gonna throw,

Arthropod Insect Terrestrial plant Invertebrate Pest

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice , i figured dead would wk as the ones we put on were dead once threaded only..ouch!!....only difference is one is fresher, but it has to wk...i wasnt really surprised at the drum and snapper hitting it but the tarpon and sheepshead was a surprise, The sheephead we caught hit it HARD.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
2 weeks ago I hooked 2 old drum (unintentionally) both on 1/4 oz jig heads and very fresh shrimp yet nothing touched my big rods with mullet (expect rays and pinfish). I got to see both fish but didn't get them in the boat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Five years ago I moved to Fort Myers Beach mostly because the fishing is "year round" here. The rig you picture works really well. I tend to use just a small #2 circle tied leader to line with no swivels or weights. Large live shrimp are plentiful here in the winter (50 for $12). I hook the shrimp at the base of the tail and use the weight of the shrimp for the cast. I love it when the shrimp jumps from the water trying to evade.
What helped the resurgence on the gamefish here was when people had a bill introduced for public vote for the ban of gill nets. It passed into law some 15 years ago. I am not trying to rekindle that argument...however. Water Sky Cloud Lake Fisherman

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Apparently cats at SH like them. Lowes had a killer deal on fresh steamed at the seafood counter the other night but the seafood butcher ( what are those guys called anyway?) told me they were long sold out. I was steamed! Pun intended.

I bet shellcrackers would hammer them!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shrimp is very good catfish bait. Grew up using it in the Santee Cooper lakes for nice Blue cats. I don't buy "bait shrimp" as I have found that the little fish will eat it but the bigger ones prefer it fresher no matter the species.. I buy good fresh NC local shrimp and keep it iced down and separated into smaller bags so I can eat any I have left from fishing. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.