NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally made it home, only to find out my computer bit the dust. Lost everything on it. Mother Board, Hard drive, and the Power Unit. 4 days, and $300 later, I'm up and running again.
Had a great vacation.........fished with Topsail Angler 1 day, got a 14.2 lb. False Albacore. Don't think I would've ever gotten him to the boat, without the help of the Captain--First Mate--Gaff Man--Line Clearer..........Mike. thanks buddy.
King Fished, off the Surf City Pier mostly..............Had my first run 2 Wednesdays ago, and when the reel started screaming, I turned quickly, and something popped in my knee. I managed to get to the rod, and shortly after, landed a 10 lb. King. I limped around for the rest of the 2 weeks I was there.
Last Monday, I had 3 runs, and caught 2 Kings, 14, and 22 lbs. The last run, I gave the rod to my son Dustin, who was rather inexperienced. I was behind him, helping to level wind, and try to coach him along, and when the fish got to the pier, he hooked a hard left, and before I could get the rod from Dustin, and try to keep him out of the pilings, he was already under the pier. I locked the International 30 TW, and had the 7 ft. Fenwick "Doubled up" but, couldn't bring him back, and he eventually pulled the hooks. I never saw the fish, but, I think it was a BIG King, just by the way he ran, and acted. sure would've liked to gotten a closer look at him, but, that's fishin.
Tuesday, had 1 run, and landed a 25 lb. King, and 2 of my buddies, caught a 13, and 18 lb'er.

Here's Some pics,

Mark (Pier Dweller)

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thanks for the report! I'm sorry to hear about the knee. I know what it's like to have a knee blow out on ya, and no worse place than a pier where your walking around so much. I see you grabbed a brace..good call. Hope it's better, sounds like a cartilage tear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Mark. Boy, what a cure for the ailing. Catching those Macks. I bet once you had one on you forgot about your knee for a while. Glad you took your son for some quality time. I bet he won't forget that pull. Hope you are OK. Ya know, you are getting "old" and things like that happen at the worst time. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Great report and pics. Gary

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Glad you got your computer up and running again. I thought maybe the download of all those big fat kings crashed the hard drive. Same thing happened to Fojoloy once, only his were specks I think.

Hope your knee is doing better. It sure happened at a bad time (vacation) and it keep you off the boat too. Well maybe next time it will hold up and we can get out more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, I sure hated things worked out the way they did, I just didn't think the knee could take it. It feels better, but definately not healed, and, I'm being very careful with it. Hopefully, things will pan out with it, and we can hook up next time I'm down. Also, Thanks for posting the pics while I was at Topsail.

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mark i'm glad you caught some kings while on vacation.Their so much fun to
catch and eat.I hope your knee gets better also.Thanks for the report.I've
been thinking of either bringing one of the boats down or fishing that area from
one of those piers.I fished crystal pier about 20 year ago and was amazed
how much clearer the water was compaired to the water south of frying pan.
I just keep fishing long bay since all my fishing buddies fish the area as well.

Thanks,
Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.