NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. :)

Just getting back into fishing after taking a break for about 12 years. Wondering what I can get into here in the lakes like Wheeler and Jordan, like fishing off the banks mostly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the sight jankerson, not sure really where to fish from off the banks up that way mainly fish from my boat. I'm sure there are many NCAnglers though however that know some hot spots up that way.

Thanks. :D

I might buy a john boat or something later on, but for now just fishing off the banks is fine. Sense I am just getting back into it again after a long break I just want to see what's out there. :)

Had to find my tackle box, lucky I found it, that was funny sense it was buried and my poles vanished so I had to buy a new rod and reel, got a med rig so that should handle most anything I would think.

I was always more about the number of fish I catch than looking for the big one you know. Mostly fished the rivers up in MD and once in a while the lakes when a bunch of us would go out.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Theres alot of residential lakes in Raleigh that are worth fishing at. There are alot of lakes at the subdivisions in north raleigh. Mostly small ponds but some of them can hold some big fish for sure. Lake Wheeler and Lake Johnson are good too. Falls Lake is a great place to fish too but the water level is extremely low right now. Hope you catch em up.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot guys. :D

Was out for about and hour today at Wheeler while the other half was out on her kayak. Got a few nibbles, not bad, but need to go out longer on my own next time when I don't have to work.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Jankerson, will have to be on the lookout for you around Raleigh.

I've not fished Wheeler at all, have fished Jordan some from boat & kayak.

Here's a couple of bank fishing spots that have been mentioned recently:
  • The big lake at Umstead Park - pretty good shoreline access. I think you can rent jons/rowboats in the summer (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Beaverdam rd - between Durham and Chapel Hill. Feeds an arm of Jordan Lake and the white bass have been running up there recently.
  • Weaver Creek access area at Jordan Lake. Off Beaver Creek Rd, south of the Ebeneezer launch, just south of the Pea Ridge intersection.
If your other half already has a kayak, you're home free. Join us in the kayak crowd!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jankerson, will have to be on the lookout for you around Raleigh.

I've not fished Wheeler at all, have fished Jordan some from boat & kayak.

Here's a couple of bank fishing spots that have been mentioned recently:
  • The big lake at Umstead Park - pretty good shoreline access. I think you can rent jons/rowboats in the summer (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Beaverdam rd - between Durham and Chapel Hill. Feeds an arm of Jordan Lake and the white bass have been running up there recently.
  • Weaver Creek access area at Jordan Lake. Off Beaver Creek Rd, south of the Ebeneezer launch, just south of the Pea Ridge intersection.
If your other half already has a kayak, you're home free. Join us in the kayak crowd!

Thanks a lot for the info. :D

Haven't tried Kayaking before, but might have to. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a fellow newbie in Raleigh area. I went to Beaver Dam lake (part of Falls Lake Park) today. I was going to kayak fish but too windy so I cast for about 30 min. from shore then went home. Only caught one 9" bass.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a fellow newbie in Raleigh area. I went to Beaver Dam lake (part of Falls Lake Park) today. I was going to kayak fish but too windy so I cast for about 30 min. from shore then went home. Only caught one 9" bass.

Paul

Yeah it gets windy around here. :(

Going out to Lake Johnson tonight for awhile to see what's going on there. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.