NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found myself with some time on my hands today, and went back to Fort Fisher with the kayak. It was definitely not a kayaking day, but I had a blast. Winds were howling- whitecaps in the basin. Got out past the wall into the Cape Fear, and the waves were much better, but the wind was still pushing.

Caught one red (my first!) inside the wall far side of Zeke's, one flounder outside the wall near Zeke's, one pinfish and two sharks. Red and Flounder on Redfish Magic (Thanks Druminator- North River post). Sharks and pin on shrimp.

Will post pic, if my wife will help me figure out how to d/l it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Good job! Glad you found some rest from the wind and waves!
Still hunting for my first kayak red...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Skooteri just got my attention. We need to start an official wind thread. Actually maybe one fresh and another salt. Finding shelter from the wind and waves can make a big difference in the enjoyment department. Some places are oriented east-west and others north-south. Even so there are lots of other factors to conider such as which side of the ditch you can put in and how high the dunes/trees are. Another thing that makes a big difference when you are out in the sound on a windy day is tide direction. When the tide is running against the wind it stacks the waves up steeper and closer together (shorter interval). Paddling with the tide and wind going in the same direction is much easier assuming you are going across the current or down current. If its a spring tide and a stiff breeze you might be up against a monster trying to paddle up current. With all of the weather data & predictions on line and a place to look up similar conditions eventually it will become evident which places to avoid and which ones offer protection under a given set of conditions. MY thoughts are a standard trip report with the first sntry being wind direction and speed the second tide direction the third put in location 4th conditons upon arrival 5th how the day went and finally conditions at takeout. I'd like to hear what you active kayakers think about the subject. Don't worry ...You can't hurt my feelings ... I know I'm allways right. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think it is a great idea, can we have a form to fill in. Some of us need all the help we can get (me) with posting. Maybe we could tie it in with a posting report or something. Also while I am asking is there a way to fill in the fishing report and it show as a post, as it is now if I fill in a fishing report then I have to also type in a new thread. I love this site but hate to type, and writing the same twice is not helping.
But then maybe I have been doing it wrong all a long. And thanks again Sinker Man for your Idea!

Reactions: sinker man

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Did somebody say that was a SPINNERBAIT? I know how to throw those!!!

(Launched one into the middle of bond lake last night... Never figured I'd need a shock leader for a job like that. (It couldn't have been my knot. :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Got two thoughts:
(1) How different is this than the fishing logs?
(2) As for the wind topic in particular -- is it worth any effort to be able to report significant changes in direction, speed, or nature of the wind?

In general, forms are a good thing. A lot of times they break down under certain "real world" conditions, such as change. The more strict and formal the values of the form (or "semantics", for you geeks), the easier it is to search and correlate. You can filter the reports on "north wind", for example. But if the wind swung from north to southeast, or went from still to gusty, it's hard to put that into a form.

I've got no objection to adding kinda a template, or form, or "starter set of questions" to a fishing report.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think that this is a very good idea. Seems to me that it would give us an idea if we are heading out to a fool's errand at a place we have never been. 'It's not a good idea to launch at place x when the wind is coming from the east and the tide is going out' for example. With weather and tide tables so easy to get, it could make sense. Only problem is accurate reporting of wind and direction. I know what the speed and direction were SUPPOSED to be, but I don't know if they were accurate- just like there was a zero percent chance of rain- even though the sky spit a little bit for a while at me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I paddle and fish both fresh and saltwater, with the latter mostly limited to the inshore tidal marshes and creeks. I always check the NOAA weather site forecast 'hourly data graphs' before planning the trip and heading out, and I check the tide predictors if heading to the coast. The problem with tide predictors is that there can be large differences in the tide times in the backwater areas compared to the fixed locations for the tide predictors such as inlets and beaches. An example is the Fort Fisher basin area; you can check tide predictions for many nearby locations in the Cape Fear River, Bald Head Island, Wilmington Beach, etc., but the peak high and low tides in the basin can be up to two hours different than these reported locations just a few miles away. And Lefty is correct about the wind, it can change throughout the day and very often is not what the forecasters predict (is it ever?), so it would be hard to enter one value for the day. If there is not a front blowing through, the typical summer time pattern at the coast is calm to light winds early in the morning with winds picking up in the afternoon due to diurnal heating and the seabreeze effect. What you describe about the wind blowing against the tidal current direction is right on the money....I call this condition the "washing machine" and it has happened to me more times than I would like while paddling across the deeper channel section of the ICW. Always wear a pfd and try to paddle with a partner whenever possible.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Well, my biggest point is, if you're going to build a form, make it more of a template on a blank page, rather than a rigid form. If you have two drop-down listboxes for the wind (direction and speed), that won't work, since wind changes so much so quickly. The other side of the same coin is you lose the ability to do an easy search for all the reports including SSE winds, for example. That search could still be done, but it'd be much more difficult with a more elaborate entry field.

(Unless you want to encourage folks to write separate reports, one for the morning when the wind was against their outbound leg, one for the midday leg when the wind was still and no breeze to cool them while they fished, and one for the afternoon leg when the wind opposed their return trip.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.