NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started early trying to find a bass. Don't know what have happen to the bass in my pond, but have not been able to find any for a while now. I know they are in here because I have seen them bedding in the spring. Use to catch plenty of 4-5 pounders. I think they have so much to eat they wont bite. I did manage to catch a very, very fat 3 1/2 pounder. Not full of roe but just fat. Didn't put up much of a fight. Switched from bass to bream and managed a few for the grease. All caught on black beetle spin.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Good mess of fish.
ps
One word for your bass...Speedcraw. If they are there, they will hit it. Texas rigged for ponds. That will be the Ultravibe Speedcraw, not the big one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hmmm. Maybee yellow perch should go into my pond rather than crappie....hmmm need to run this by the biologist

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I've heard horrible things about stocking crappie in small ponds.... Double check before you do that.

They tend to overpopulate and fill the pond with stunted fish...

Reactions: wademaster

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I've heard horrible things about stocking crappie in small ponds.... Double check before you do that.

They tend to overpopulate and fill the pond with stunted fish...
I think Fish Fiend had created a thread on stocking crappie at some point. Yellow perch tend to overpopulate as well and become an overall small sized fish.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have not had that problem. It's about a 5 1/2 acre pond and the crappie don't stand a chance of over populating if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Wademaster is correct. Keep them thinned out, or they can ruin a pond. There was a 5 acre lake in High Point that got so over run by crappie, they were stunted. We used to see spawners five inches long, never any big ones.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hmmm. Maybee yellow perch should go into my pond rather than crappie....hmmm need to run this by the biologist
Let me know if ya need help catching the crappie! Also any bass but will catch and release them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts