NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got moved into a new home and it's out in the sticks. Critters are everywhere. We're loving the place. I figured I'd create a thread dedicated to the wildlife that we encounter here on the new property.

I've threw out some goodies free for the taking. So far I've had crows, brown thrashers, possums, squirrels, raccoons and deer. I'm looking forward to drawing more wildlife to the property and hopefully getting some nice pics.

By the way, I'm situated within minutes of at least 4 rivers.....

I'm going to keep this thread rolling while updating it periodically.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Neat project. I recommend a game camera. It will get pics of almost everything in the area pretty quickly. Checking the camera once a week was like opening presents. We're in the burbs but have a nice list of critters, everything you listed plus rabbits, foxes, and a coyote. (borrowed camera via NCMNS's eMammal project)

Enjoy the new digs.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neat project. I recommend a game camera. It will get pics of almost everything in the area pretty quickly. Checking the camera once a week was like opening presents. We're in the burbs but have a nice list of critters, everything you listed plus rabbits, foxes, and a coyote. (borrowed camera via NCMNS's eMammal project)

Enjoy the new digs.
There are tons of coyotes, foxes and I'm sure rabbits around the house. I just haven't seen them at the house yet. I've owned game cameras in the past and I agree, it's a blast to see what's out there. I'll likely pick another one up soon!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to add bird houses/feeders and maybe some water features soon. I thought of bringing a few of my bluebird houses from my previous home but I've had so many bluebirds residing in those for several years now and don't want to move those. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woods and fields. Thousands of acres of it. Of course I don't own all of it. Also, earlier I had a beautiful Northern Flicker woodpecker show up and spy through my kitchen windows for a bit. Couldn't get a pic.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Added some things. Few bird feeders and houses. Tons of wildlife here. Carolina wrens, American robins, bluebirds and lots of others have visited us already. The feeding staton pictured is complete with a rain gauge and thermometer. Black oil sunflower seed, thistle and a couple types of suet for now. Much more to come.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come spring time after the threat of frost has passed I'm thinking of planting sunflowers around the property for the birds. I done this once at a past residence, anybody else done this? Thoughts?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Linda usually plants a couple of rows of sunflowers in the garden. I love the sounds of the place, and the pics are great looking forward to more.

Darrell
I suspect the sunflowers she plants receive much attention from the birds? I'm in the middle of getting a trail cam up and also I'm debating on buying an actual real life camera to take some quality wildlife pics.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In addition to the sunflowers plant some echinacea for the gold finches. A few other plants would pull in the hummingbirds and butterflies....and a row of corn for the deer (kidding).
Will do. The only thing that'll hold me back would be the fact that I don't know what/where the previous homeowners had things planted. I'll have to wait and see what comes up and where before I add anything to the flower beds.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I will put up a pick of a suet feeder that wingsdlc made for us that is one of the best i have ever used. simple/cheap to make and works great there are birds outside of the kitchen window all day long.
I am out of town now but will be back in a couple of days.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will put up a pick of a suet feeder that wingsdlc made for us that is one of the best i have ever used. simple/cheap to make and works great there are birds outside of the kitchen window all day long.
I am out of town now but will be back in a couple of days.

Darrell
Looking forward to the pics. Does Linda get much attention on the sunflowers she plants? If I recall correctly I think I had right much takers on the actual head of the sunflower when I planted them last time.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.