NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travis and I hit Badin Sunday, hoping for the big May buzzbait bite! Day dawned cloudy and cool, and a northeast breeze. We were sitting on a great spot at daylight, and soon had two nice two pounders to the boat. Then, the action seemed to die off on top, so we switched to T rigs and C rigs. Nothing..:confused:
Saw no evidence of bedding fish, so we figured they were in the old post spawn recovery funk.
We continued to throw the plastics with no success, even adding some cranks and spinnerbaits to the assault.
Not a bite.
Around nine o'clock it dawned on me. Time to go finesse!
Out came the Shaky head rigs. We were using "spot removers" with Zoom Swamp Crawler worms.
About ten minutes after switching to this type of attack, a husky three pounder mashed my bait, then Travis got hooked up as well with my fish's twin, lol.
This went on for most of the day, the pattern seemed to be, find grass, find bass! The laydowns produced nothing, even my vaunted speed craw on the c rig was letting me down.
We had caught 25 fish by 1530, and most were one to three pounds. Never liked shaky head fishing, but like the man says, "I have seen the light!"
We were tired by then, and Travis needed to get home, his new wife needed him for "special" duty, it seems he had promised to fix supper for them, so, not to stand in the way of true love, I admonished him for one more try on a point, then we can hit the road. He agreed, so we went to a point where I had caught good fish before. I told Trav I had to give the speed craw a chance to redeem itself, and was glad we did. My first cast landed almost right on top of a stump, and a good fish mashed the bait instantly, and got off as I didn't get a good hook set.:mad:
Next cast, I felt the familiar thump, and saw the line sawing off to the left. Set the hook, and a minute or so later a fat four pounder was in the boat. Next cast saw another bite, and soon a nice three pounder was taken and released. We threw a few more times with no more bites.
Travis was getting "ancy", so we left for the dock, and Trav's duties as new hubby were saved!
Total for the day:
Buzzbaits-2 bass
C rig speedcraw-3 bass
Shaky head swamp crawler-22 bass, one blue catfish (Travis knew he had a real pig on this five pound cat, lol)
All in all, very productive day after we changed tactics..
Lake was fairly clear, in spite of recent rains. But was down nearly two feet :confused:, guess they were drawing water..

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The speedcraw will just about always produce fish. I would put money on the fact that a speedcraw will produce a fish at least one every day!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Red X Angler
3,766 Posts
That's a great day of fishing, Jerry! Glad you guys found the working tactic. Took one of my buddies who doesn't get to fish much out to the triple R on Saturday and we did well on numbers but other than a 3 pounder not much on size. Woke up yesterday, saw the weather, and wished I could fish it!

Congrats, way to go!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Had it not been for finessing them, it could of been a long day. I hate shaky heads, I am one of those dull creatures that have to be in contact with my bait, and this is new to me. However, not so dull I didn't have three or four spot removers in my "weapons of bass destruction" arsenal, lol!.

·
Red X Angler
3,766 Posts
Thanks. Had it not been for finessing them, it could of been a long day. I hate shaky heads, I am one of those dull creatures that have to be in contact with my bait, and this is new to me. However, not so dull I didn't have three or four spot removers in my "weapons of bass destruction" arsenal, lol!.
Jerry, you know how I feel about Texas rig. Nothing more needs to be said there, but I will say this.... I have found that on some days the shakey head just outperforms. I don't find that I don't feel I'm in contact with my bait, I just hop-hop-shakey-shakey-shakey-hop-hop till the line goes heavy or I get a thump. Not that much different than a T-rig, really. Sometimes the bite is more subtle but otherwise it's pretty similar. Glad you decided to give it a fair... shake. <groan>

Happy for you guys. I wish I had more fishing time these days, I would like to get out to Badin. Just haven't been able to get far from home or go very often lately.

Keep it up!

·
Red X Angler
3,766 Posts
We got the boat out today for a little family fun on the water for a few hours. Took the little guy (who is just shy of 22 months old) and my wife and I put in at Whiporwill. We mainly just tooled around and then inflated the water loungers and floated for a bit. He was surprisingly good, so we got to stay a while. After floating he was entertained in the back just watching stuff and playing with his cars, so I got to fish for maybe a little under 2 hours. Not really knowing what areas were better than others lately, I just picked a couple shorelines; one that you and I had fished before but the wind was making it tough, then a shoreline I've never fished. Caught 4 bass in under 2 hours, one was about 3 pounds, all on shakey head in 3 to 10 feet of water on a protected shoreline out of the wind.

Badin is a pretty lake, and the bass are healthy and feisty!
Water Vertebrate Sky Smile Lake

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, they certainly are!...Most of the time. October and November there is no better place to bass fish. February through June is great too, but they get kinda tough when it gets real hot..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts