NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I haven't been there this Spring, but this time of year weightless worms or buzzbaits worked in the grass early would be a good place to start. If there has been good rain lately, the upper end of Reynold's Creek can sometimes hold a couple fish. Points and docks that are on the way out of spawn pockets to the main lake probably worth checking, also. Rocky points with shakey heads or Carolina rigs, cranks if you like cranking.

Take your PFD and your tolerance for boat wakes with you, also. Good luck, and I hope you slay 'em!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been there this Spring, but this time of year weightless worms or buzzbaits worked in the grass early would be a good place to start. If there has been good rain lately, the upper end of Reynold's Creek can sometimes hold a couple fish. Points and docks that are on the way out of spawn pockets to the main lake probably worth checking, also. Rocky points with shakey heads or Carolina rigs, cranks if you like cranking.

Take your PFD and your tolerance for boat wakes with you, also. Good luck, and I hope you slay 'em!
Thanks. PFD always. We're renting a house on the lake for the weekend. Hopefully find some good action. I like crank baits, just never know when to use surface vs. suspended.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Aint that the truth. Badin is like a washing machine when theres alot of traffic. As far as fishing goes, they will bite almost anything now. In 2013 we had a BFL there in June and I made my first prefishing trip on memorial day weekend. Prior to that day I had only been on the lake 2 or 3 times with a buddy and that was always in the colder months. I put in at Whipporwill that morning and just went fishing. In the first hour I put about 10 fish in the boat with 5 different techniques from 1 ft of water to 15 ft. I smoked them every day I fished there that year, probably averaged 20 fish per day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boat traffic was insane. The house we rented was in a cove off of a channel so I didn't have to deal with muck wake fortunately. I did'nt spend as much time on the water as I wanted, but I caught two sunfish and a small mouth off of the yak. Hit a few suns and another small mouth off of the boat slip. My buddies wife pulled in a 10 lb. cat off of the slip. Saw a lot of movement and action on the water. I was rotating lipless cranks, spinner baits, frog lure and a whacky worm. Whacky worm and the lipless are what hit for me. Had a great weekend though.

Water Vertebrate Organism Fluid Fish
Water Sky Lake Vehicle Boat
Shoe Smile Sleeve Glove Fish

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I stand corrected. My first bass, so I am by no means an expert.
If the hinge point of the jaw is behind the eye then it cannot be a smallmouth or spotted bass. Only largemouth have the hinge point that far back. The red arrow shows about where the hinge point is. It is even easier to spot with the mouth open. Also, congrats on your first bass.

Water Bait Fisherman Fluid Fish

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
For bass, especially if the water is somewhat clear (which Badin often is), you may want to consider less hardware on your terminal tackle than what you have pictured. Tying the line straight to the hook is typical, and if you want to use a snap swivel, use the smallest one you can get away with. Personally I never use them, I just feel like the fish on a lake with decent fishing pressure are likely to be able to see them and it might deter some bites, especially with soft plastics or other baits that are slow enough that they get a good look.

Congrats on your first bass!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For bass, especially if the water is somewhat clear (which Badin often is), you may want to consider less hardware on your terminal tackle than what you have pictured. Tying the line straight to the hook is typical, and if you want to use a snap swivel, use the smallest one you can get away with. Personally I never use them, I just feel like the fish on a lake with decent fishing pressure are likely to be able to see them and it might deter some bites, especially with soft plastics or other baits that are slow enough that they get a good look.

Congrats on your first bass!
Thanks, and thanks for the feedback. Up until recently, I've only fished with live or cut bait. I've only recently started using lures and soft plastics. As with anything, there's a learning curve, and trial and error. I ran a leader so I could easily swap out between plastics and lures while out on the yak. I had 3 rods with me, so I guess I didn't really need to. I will give that a shot my next go round.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That jumped out at me also, the big swivel. It will definitely cost you some fish. Look up tying a Palomar knot. It's super fast and one of the strongest knots you can use. I grew up using the improved Clinch but saw that show where they tested knot strengths on a machine each week at the end of the fishing show. That's where I learned the Palomar. So easy, so strong, quick to tie.

Tight lines!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.