NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about heading to atlantic beach or MHC to grab a few flounder this weekend. Can anyone tell me where they are finding bait ? Looking for Mullet prefably, but Podies ( menhaden) will do as well.
Also, the only place I have found flounder consistantly in AB is on the coast guard docks... got any other secret holes out there?

rye

·
Registered
121 Posts
rye,
i never did to good catching the pogies up there but when i did hit them it was in the marsh grass ditches behind shackleford banks. did well with the killifish (mud minnows) but all you have to do for them is go to shallow dark marsh water and throw to the bank. have caught a lot of flounder on them. if i come across any accurate info,,,i'll send it to ya.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Sorry you didn't get a good answer quickly rye. This site will only be beneficial as folks get involved in responding as you, Gatorman and some others have. We have over 320 members now, but the site is still relatively new. Most of those folks have not posted yet. I'm not sure how to motivate folks to get involved in posting other than to encourage the investment of time and information so that we all benefit in the long run. Thanks for your involvement though and I hope you hang in there till this site really takes off.

Maybe some folks aren't sure how to use the site. If that is the case I hope anyone will feel free to email me at [email protected] and ask any questions on how to do so. A quick tip though on how to check for new messages posted since your last login....click on 'Quicklinks' above then 'New Posts'. You'll see everything posted since your last visit. you can also search for any topic on the site using the "Super Search II" module about half way down the left colum on the home page. For instance if you're interested in Tarpon Fishing just type 'tarpon' in the search box and click 'Go'. You'll see everything posted in the forums about Tarpon.

Thanks again for participating!

rye said:
boy, not doign so good on here.. only two questions asked, and not really an answer to either.. sheesh!

rye

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rye,

I'm mostly a pier fisherman, as you can see by my name. If you can't find live bait, try a double Bucktail rig tipped with a strip of spot or Flounder (I usually buy a small Flounder at the fish market, and use the white side, skin side up) This works good until the Pinfish show up. LOL
Here's a pic of an old friend, (84 yrs. old) that fished these two out from between a bunch of guys fishing with minnows, with the double rig.
Good luck on your trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rye,
just joined so im just now reading your post. Last year was my first time fishing MHC and Beaufort Inlet, We did well on the flounder across from the Coast Guard station at Radio Island where the huge ramp is. Almost all the ones we caught were on grubs. I like fishing with grubs alot because you can catch alot of different kind of fish with em.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info guys. I usually use a cast net from 20th street in MHC to get my bait.. but last year wasn't such a good year for it.
I was looking for some place new to find them.

How do you get to the Radio island ramp you were describign? I haven't been down that way. I'd love to give it a try sometime.

Thanks again for the info guys.

rye

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried to head the the Coast guard docks the other day and they were closed for construction so I headed back over to Radio Island trying to find that boat ramp. I found one ramp that looked more like a marina. I ended up fishing a rock bank adjacent to the turning basin. I got one flounder that was about 9 inches long on a mud minnow and a ton of pinfish. I used some of the pin fish for cut bait and got one bat ray and that was it. Not a total loss, but deffinetly not the day out I was hopping for. I tried using a buck tail and a white grub. Lost both to the rocks.

Rye

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure about MHC butI haven't had any luck catching bait in New River. What I have seen has been too small for the nets and I have only marked a few small schools of manhaden, they were too deep to cast to. No luck on shrimp either. It's been to cold and to wet. Most everthing is still small and have not started falling out yet.
You might want to pick-up a couple of packs of mullet from the bait store. I strip them and cut trianglar pieces about 3" long and drift them. Sometimes good! sometimes not so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.