NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most all of us are students in the art of fishing. I just wondering if anyone out there has any bait mods that they do before hitting the water. There are tons of lures hard/soft and sometimes the fish don't like them out the box to fish it differently than it was intended. For example I replace the standard Mirolure hooks on the MR17's and 15's to a number 6 gold or other color. The smaller hook allows it to sink slower or barley suspend under the water. Anyone else have any little tricks they want to share?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Absolutely! From taking sharpies and creating my own colors, to bending spinner baits so they run different, to adding flash, to anything else that I think might catch a fish. Hahah

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turn jig spinners too. I use spike it on a few baits to change or add colors. I might have to try to get my hands on some sharpies and play.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Here is a redneb video I watched a while back. [video=youtube;KfZOc2nWXdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfZOc2nWXdM&list=PLE649AF8476B18BF1[/video]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also seen today that if your soft bait is to long to just simply cut a little so that it sits flush to your jig head.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'll replace hooks and just as important...the split rings! I sometimes also attach a split ring to a jigging spoon or plug so you don't need a loop knot. Some of my buddies leave plugs on their dashboards to allow the sun to bleach them to a lighter shade, and mix soft plastics together to come up with new custom colors.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'll replace hooks and just as important...the split rings! I sometimes also attach a split ring to a jigging spoon or plug so you don't need a loop knot. Some of my buddies leave plugs on their dashboards to allow the sun to bleach them to a lighter shade, and mix soft plastics together to come up with new custom colors.
Back in the day we called those furby worms. I don't recall how that name came about but I had about 15 pounds of furbies and 4 cases of clear salt and pepper and the clear tan salt and pepper Culprits in the refrigerator I use to dye dunk. I reckon that's been about 27 years ago or there abouts.

How worms turned furby. Back then some of us didn't keep worms in the original packages. We put them in a ziplock sprayed a little Bang or Fish Formula in there and zipped her up. Sometimes you would get down to a coupla worms left in a pack and just combine packs. The oils from the Bang or Fish Formula would make a complete color transfer. Most furbies wound up one shade or other in the purple range . Light purple, lilac, to dark purple. Just depended on the starting color of the worm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts