NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy KC works retail, which this time of year means 6 day weeks. So when he texted me Saturday night with "I have to work, I need to fish!" How could I refuse. We launched just after high tide and it was really cold. And damp. Anyway we head out and the ICW was stuffed with schools of bait. 100 yard+ long schools of bait. Saw a few, very few gulls diving. No porpoise pods. No pelicans. Tossed plugs and plastics at em. Nothing.

Had a boat slide up a along side us and I didn't see any fishing rods or burlap sacks or oyster buckets. I'm confused, what's he doing out here on such a foul winter's day. (Happy Solstice everyone) So I inquire...his response, shouted through his massive beard "My wife wanted some SAND DOLLARS for the Christmas Tree!" As he holds a handful aloft with a huge smile on his face.

i laughed so hard I almos pi$$ed my pants. A right jolly old elf he was. I shouted back "your a better man than I! Hope you get some tonight!" He smiled again and with a knowing wink of an eye he was off like the down of a thistle.

Happy Christmas to All and to All a tight line!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the secret spot had two boats already there and another coming in as we were leaving. Spent all of 30 minutes back there. Marked few fish on the graph, pinned that peanut to a eighth ounce jig and let it drift in the strong current, no takers. KC had a shrimp on the end of his line. Nothing. Called it a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey you ole buckeye! Merry Christmas to you. You didn't mention catching a stripped mullet on the spinning rod, nor did you dispel the myth about not being able to catch reds on a top water plug in December and January? Thanks for taking me fishing with you!

For those of you reading Birdman's post, he has a lot of good stories like this.... go Birdman!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only luck I've had this month has been in the ICW around flats and then letting the current run the gulp jigs up against the channel drop offs. Shame it didn't work.. follow that full moon!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From Fig 8 to Topsail. The water was black where they were swimmin. It wasn't a few here a few there it was a massive almost unbroken school. For Miles. Ok maybe 200 yard gaps between 150 yard long, 20 yard wide schools of bait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.