NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bait shrimp question....your opinion please

I observed two old guys going at it yesterday about frozen bait store shrimp vs food lion "fresh shrimp"

This is about dead shrimp only
argument summarized:

-----------Food lion shrimp cons
dipped in preservative once caught.
Flash frozen once caught on the boat.
. Not local, therefore not recognized by predator fish.
----------food lion shrimp pros
still fresher and sturdier than baitshop frozen shrimp
Stays on hook better

--------bait store shrimp cons
flimsy and shorter stay on the hook
just as expensive as store bought and contains heads

-------bait store shrimp pros
Local refused true bait that's not available for human preference
Predator fish we are seeking recognize this bait flavor.

All arguments make sense to the novice. What are the professional opinions here?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I fish with the same quality of shrimp I would eat, Fresh local is best. If you buy "bait" quality shrimp I still want it to be local, it's just had a few days in the ice and has an odor to it thus isn't sold as food quality. Even then if cant stink bad or its no good for anything but crabs and pinfish. The "food lion" type stuff is packaged and processed and can come from many sources, even farmed. I think this all makes a big difference in scent and flavor. I also use fresh shrimp when catfishing in fresh water and fresh is the difference between nice sized cats and little bait stealers.. Proven over and over again to myself over the years..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have caught plenty of fish on frozen grocery store shrimp and "fresh" shrimp from the side of the road. I have caught fish on shrimp, and mullet, that has been in the cooler for days. It was pretty gross but the fish didn't seem to mind. The way I figure, if a fish swims by lookin for a meal and he sees an ugly piece of shrimp that was caught 10 days ago, he's gonna eat it. My experience anyway.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I also agree with Sundrop, though I also have an observation:
Not local, therefore not recognized by predator fish
I have never really had a problem with this. I have used the "wrong" kind that were definitely not local and did about as well as others around me. Gulp aren't native anywhere and often the colors that are producing look like nothing found in nature. I have used canned shrimp a few times when logistics made having anything else problematic (they end up being a bit pricey compared to frozen, but if a tackle box and rod are all you have room for...) and they worked fine also. When you use dead bait I think smell and texture matters most; smells like food, feels right when chewed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The place in Washington that sells shrimp from coolers has one cooler with shrimp that are too ugly to sell for humans to eat. They smell the same as the nice looking shrimps. I want to catch a big old fat fish that eats everything. What is dead shrimp good for anyway - aren't all fish caught on secret lures ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I will give you a little info on "that place". I've watched them fill those coolers often with boxes from south America. ONLY the coolers clearly marked LOCAL NC shrimp, actually are... I cannot say whether or not they are totally honest about it but I will say I have had limited success with their "ugly" shrimp with anything but rat reds and small catfish, but I can go over to Washington Crab and seafood and get fresh local and do well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I will give you a little info on "that place". I've watched them fill those coolers often with boxes from south America. ONLY the coolers clearly marked LOCAL NC shrimp, actually are... I cannot say whether or not they are totally honest about it but I will say I have had limited success with their "ugly" shrimp with anything but rat reds and small catfish, but I can go over to Washington Crab and seafood and get fresh local and do well.
Thanks for the info. Does Washington Crab & Seafood sell local seconds for bait?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I will go shoulder to shoulder anytime with my fresh local shrimp vs anyone's "otherwise".. Confidence has nothing to do with it. You may catch more small fish and trash fish but I will catch more quality fish "if" they are around to be caught.

Reactions: Fishin Technician

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I will go shoulder to shoulder anytime with my fresh local shrimp vs anyone's "otherwise".. Confidence has nothing to do with it. You may catch more small fish and trash fish but I will catch more quality fish "if" they are around to be caught.
I might be willing to participate in a test sometime. I don't think scavengers eating dead shrimp are that concerned about pedigree. I think it is more about it being firm enough to stay on a hook and smelling/tasting like shrimp. I would love to be proved wrong. Hopefully if that happens it will be you catching 25 while I only catch 20... :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I might be willing to participate in a test sometime. I don't think scavengers eating dead shrimp are that concerned about pedigree. I think it is more about it being firm enough to stay on a hook and smelling/tasting like shrimp. I would love to be proved wrong. Hopefully if that happens it will be you catching 25 while I only catch 20... :)
I have stood next to a someone on a pb and using the same rig and bait, they outfished me 10 to 1. If fishing was so easy, cavemen could do it!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have stood next to a someone on a pb and using the same rig and bait, they outfished me 10 to 1. If fishing was so easy, cavemen could do it!
That is a problem with ever trying to get meaningful data about what bait/rig/whatever works best. I have fished identical setups side by side many times and had one rig "outfish" another for no apparent reason.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.