NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using a bait caster is it better to use mono or braided? This is my first experience with a baitcaster so I have no idea what I'm doing right now.

Also, can a baitcaster be casted out with live bait and allowed to sit like I do my spinning reel or can I only use it while using lures? Thanks for the insite.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When using a bait caster is it better to use mono or braided? This is my first experience with a baitcaster so I have no idea what I'm doing right now.

Also, can a baitcaster be casted out with live bait and allowed to sit like I do my spinning reel or can I only use it while using lures? Thanks for the insite.
I
've found that the mono workes better me. It seems that I'm get more casting distance w/ the mono and it doesnt weigh as much(?). But I do use the braided line on a fliipin stick that I have it holds up better when your in the thick stuff. Trying to cast with live for me can be tricky. It depends on how you have it weighted, the futher the weight is from the hook or tip of the rod it makes harder to cast. You will have to play with the tension knob some. Having a qualtiy baitcaster all so helps.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
my 2cents:

I'm a braid guy on spinning and baitcasting. I've fallen in love with the durability and changing line every couple of years instead of every couple of months. One reason to like it on baitcasters is that when you do backlash, the line almost always survives with braid. Mono kinks and weakens or even breaks off.

Baitcasters can certainly toss bait & sit. It is a little tougher to throw bobber rigs though - you have to watch acceleration of the rod through the cast, use a wider swing arc and the timing of the thumb release is harder to get down. Can be especially problematic in tight spaces - better to have room for a full side swing cast with the baitcaster on gangly rigs like bobbers, c-rigs, doubles, etc... You have a lot more room for error with spinning/spin casting and higher probability of getting close to the target.

The best reason to use a baitcaster with lures is to avoid the inherent line twist from spinning/spincast. But it only works if you've got heavy enough lures and enough room to make your casts. Spinning is better with light lures and tight spaces. But if you've got room, either one is fine for casting & waiting.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Coach, I think you will find it easier to learn with mono and later when you have it down you might want to use braid for one reason or another or maybe not. Mono is much more forgiving than braid to cast and easier to pick out a backlashwith. With a bad backlash in braid you might as well call it history and mono is much cheaper to relace. It has worked for the past 1/2 century so don't feel handicapped.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I love braid on my baitcaster. Like Jeff I think that if you happen to backalsh and you will, you can pick the bird's nest out without damaging braid. Mono is subject to becoming pinched or knicked in this situation.
Once, you begin to get the hang of it you'll fall in love with the baitcaster. There are the cons as Jeff pointed out and there are situations where spinning tackle is the better choice. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I believe I'll try it out (in the yard) with some cheap mono. My friend gave me a catfish kit you can get from walmart and it had 12 lb test mono in it. So free can get torn up.:D . Once I get it down pat then I'll go with some of the expensive braid I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.