NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am heading down to Bald Head island with the family for a week on June 20th. I have mostly done surf fishing in the Gulf so trying to get a little information on surf fishing at Bald Head Island. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have done some searching online and haven't found much information.

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome to the site. Not surf fishing but....As you come into the entrance of the marina, on the right is a pier that you can fish from. The entrance is constantly being dredged and where the barge anchors up to work, a hole is created by backwash from its diesel. There's been some nice flounder caught in and near these holes. On the other side of the entrance is a concrete wall with rocks on both sides that provides nice structure. You can fish from that wall but be prepared to lose some terminal gear to the rocks. Green Teal trail, off of West Bald Head Wynd, gives you access to a bay in the river where I like to fish for blues and mullet on an outgoing tide. Cape Fear trail gives you access to a point nearest the shipping channel which has a maintained depth of at least 40'. It's a great place to do some sharking. At the southeastern most part of the island is the shoals of the Cape Fear, where the river meets the ocean, best fished on an incoming tide imho. Check it out on low tide and you can get an idea where you might want to soak some bait. It's probably the most fished place on the island. Early morning and late evening sometimes provides some top water action for blues, lady fish and spaniards. I like to throw a hopkins to them when I'm lucky enough to be there when they are. Be prepared for a 300 meter walk to the shoals. To the north of the shoals is East Beach. Between accesses 39 and 42 you should be able to find some sand fleas, aka mole crabs, for sea mullet and pomp fishing. Typical summer days, two ounces of lead will hold the bottom. It's been my experience that the best fishing on the island is in the marsh. Unfortunately, the only public access to the creek to surf fish is access #1 on the north end of the island at the mouth of Bald Head creek. However, you can rent kayaks, I think they might have two fishing kayaks, and fish the creek for reds and flounder. Four inch white gulp shrimp is my go to artificial bait but I prefer fishing with live bait. Bring a cast net with you as the only bait sold on the island is frozen, sold at the market. They do sell food grade fresh shrimp but they are awfully proud of it and priced accordingly. The hardware store sells tackle but like the market, they are proud also. Public consumption on the beach is permitted but open containers while in your golf cart is not. Coming to a full stop at stop signs is a good idea also. You picked a great beach to bring the family for a vacation. If you have young children, check out turtle central. They offer a variety of activities that might interest them. East beach will probably be the most crowed with West beach the least. Hope you have a good vacation and catch 'em up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That is great information. I do have a cast net, but not very good with it. Will bring it along and give it a try. Otherwise will be paying the proud price for fresh shrimp. :)
Again, thank you for all the information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've spent many many days over there, print sandbars reply or memorize it. That might be the best description I've read for bald head.

Personally I like fishing down on the end in the early morning and the backside in the afternoon. Take gulp, doa, vudo or savage shrimp and a some finger mullet for Carolina rigs, catch em up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a week away from hitting bald head. Any one know what is being targeted right now while surf fishing? Just want to be prepared for what's running the beaches right now.

Also, got a cast net to get some fresh bait. Any suggestions on where I can throw the net to get live bait? Not to familiar with using a cast net so any help appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I caught sea mullet today on E. Beach using sand fleas. Pretty much non stop action on the falling tide but not much size to them. Caught mostly croakers a few days ago and no mullets. Plenty of small sharpnose both days. Best bet for catching f/mullet and shrimp will be in the creek at low tide but, as stated above, there's just no public bank access. Access #1 and #4 would be worth checking out for bait. Watch the rocks around #4 at the entrance of the marina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts