NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these? I see them advertised and they look good but we all know that we usually hook ourselves not the fish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have not tried them but have seen them and don't see how they would be any more effective than many of the soft plastic shads and minnows readily available from other manufactures. Just my opinion, but I think you could get a much more effective selection of baits for $20-$25.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
tried them and they do work really well.me and my buddy was fishing this pond and we started right beside each other and he went one way and i went the other. whne we met on the other side i had caught around 40 bass and he had only caught 3 or 4. so they do work but i will tell you this if you want to try out something that works the same way just goto wal-mart and buy some of the zoom soft plastics like this Zoom Soft Plastic Baits - Fluke

then just use a small weedless hook no weight and work it like a jerk bait man the bass love it. i just never really had any good luck on a lake with it. i think it was due to the amount of area that you had to fish and you would have more chance of seeing bass in a pond. but try it out and have fun

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just the type of info I was looking for. thanks

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too jeff. That's why I asked the question. $20 for something that don't work doesn't sit with me. That's about 5 packs of zoom with the hooks.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
My principles on unnecessary tackle are bend-able at the right price!
Welcome Brother.......Welcome...For the Tackle Monkey spares no fisherman!!.LOL!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a sampler kit on ebay for about 5 bucks once but didn't pounce on it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to wally world this morn (wife left her lunch so I took it to her at work). I didn't see any of these there. Any idea what the name was on this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hey caoch d i will look here in burlington and see what the name is on them. maybe they dont have them down at fay. dont know. but i will find out this weekend.i do know that they seem to have alot more glitter in the knock off brand here. i did have some of them but ended up giving them to my nephew. trying to get him started in fishing.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for looking for me. Half price is better then full price. :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Coach D, Most of the local tournament guys toss the Zoom Flukes and Super Flukes in Pearl White. There are only a couple of other combinations that they carry just in case. I'd recommend from personal experience that you try the Zooms in pearl and forget the other colors unless you like carrying a whole bunch of stuff "just in case".
There are several rigging options. You can use it weightless which is what I use more than 75% of the time. Normally I am using it in open water so I just rig it with a 2/0 worm hook. You can use it with a weedless hook if you are fishing cover but unless the bass are chasing minnows into the cover I usually use a worm and a slower presentation in cover.
I think Norman Lures and Mustad Hooks both sell weighted hooks for those type baits. The placement of the weight on the hook determines how it will fall. About the only times I have used those were when they refused the weightless presentation and they usually treat the weighted versions the same way. I think this is usually a case of fish that have been gorging on shad and aren't really serious about eating.
Other less often used techniques that flukes have proven to work with are Carolina rigging, drop shotting and wacky rigged. You can use a ring shanked nail or Lunker City's ringed shank lead "insert weights". Again how it falls will be determined by where and how much weight you use. Line and hook sizes also come into play.\
The best time to use a Fluke type lure is when you know the fish are keying on shad and the water is clear enough for them to see it from several feet away. Normally the late winter and early spring and fall when the plankton starts dying off are good times. In clear lakes they will put fish in the boat pretty much year round. I've had better luck using the smaller ones in winter and spring and the bigger version in the summer/fall.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I saw some Riverside baits at Wal-mart yesterday that reminded me a bit of the Banjo minnow. I can't recall the exact name and didn't notice the price but they were a soft plastic minnow with 2 or three notched sections in the body to allow the tail to snap back and forth more freely. Looked like they came in 6 packs, packaged in a square cardboard backed hard plastic flat container instead of a small bag (definitely won't fit in the stocking:(). The packaging made me think that they were trying to look like a banjo knock-off and it might be more expensive than a bag of flukes. I think there were 2 different sizes. I'll have to go back and get the details. If somebody else gets a chance to snoop around their local WM and check them out, please post here...

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is also a jointed minnow from Lake Fork, 4 to package, much more pronounced joints than the banjo which should lead to a more fluid swimming action any any speed retrieval. Just got them in so have not had a chance to try em yet. Also, when rigging such baits (soft swimbaits and flukes too), i'd suggest a JB Custom Jigs Bass Catcher or a Falcon weighted jerk bait hook. Or, a Lure Weight Jerk Weight which slides over the shank of any offset worm hook.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Corey it has to be tough trying to decide what to offer for sale and what not....!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.