NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have about two more weeks before seminary classes start, and I'm trying to get as much fishing in as possible (I won't be able to do anything else but study once the semester starts).

I'm looking for some places to do some hiking and shoreline fishing. I'd like to throw plastics around. I've been scouting google maps and noticed the Upper Neuse River Greenway. It looks like a nice hike, and it runs alongside the Neuse River (the part that runs from the Falls Lake Dam to Capital). Although I can't find any parking.

I also noticed there is a canoe drop off Capital drive. I'd like to walk alongside the river and fish it (perhaps as I head or return from DNP).

Is this possible? Also, if it is, what kind of fishing can I be expecting (if any)? Any tips on baits, fish, and method? Are there better access points?

I apologize if this question has been asked. I searched the forums for Neuse fishing and didn't get much discussing the greenway and my area.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Greenway is still under construction. From what i understand there is about 2 walkable/rideable miles of it right now, mix of paved and unpaved, starting from the Falls of Neuse canoe launch parking area and ending at a culvert that is awaiting its bridge. Should offer lots of access to spots along the river. (Note that the upper Neuse is particularly noted for poison ivy, so watch where you step!)

I had heard that Paddle Creek had obtained a lease on the Capital blvd canoe launch - cannot confirm whether you can go in there to park/walk. Assuming that the new greenway is on the opposite side of the river there.

In this heat I'd just as soon be standing in the river as beside it. I usually wade in at the canoe launch and fish my way upstream. LM bass in the deep holes and eddies. Panfish anywhere. Rarely anything of size (for me) in that section.

The Falls Lake hiking trails are nice and offer access to lakeside spots, but it can be frustrating to bass fish a giant lake from what the shoreline offers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had read some reports that the greenway was supposed to be completed back in May. Should have expected a delay with it being government work. As for poison ivy, it shouldn't be a problem with my boots and jeans. And as for the heat, it can't even be nearly as bad as fishing in a canoe in Miami. Now that was HOT!

You wade in at the canoe launch by the dam? Also, what should I fish with for the bass and bluegills? Are plastics alright for the LMB? Also, why fish upstream?

A final question if you don't mind. Can I use fake baits to catch bluegill? I'd like to find a way to fish them without having to purchase/catch worms or crickets.

Thanks again buddy!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Yeah, but Miami is a tropical heat. Feels like... Miami!

A small rooster tail is the swiss army knife of river fishing - will catch what swims. Same with a tiny floating jerkbait (yozuri, rapala). For bass-only I usually fish a stand up jig head (shakey) and small worm, but just as well with a small texas rig. You can load up on the bluegill fly-fishing, so if you can modify a conventional rig with a casting bobber or a modified drop shot with a couple of drifting flies hanging off you could probably keep busy.

I go upstream from the canoe launch because field & stream told me as a kid that upstream is the direction of stealth - the reflexes kick in automatically whenever I hit a river. There are a couple of deep holes just up from there, and I like the looks of the holes & rocks visible from the Falls of Neuse bridge. Its also its a longer walk downstream to the next deep and bass-y looking hole, and a harder walk back to the launch against the current. Honestly, I've only hit that spot when I'm planning on make a brief stop, so haven't done a whole lot of variation from fishing those first two holes upstream.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.