NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Dude, Harris Park is a good place to start. They have a pier and other bank fishing opps. Great place to take kids. US1 south towards sanford take the new hill exit (left) follow new hill rd to county park rd right turn into park follow signs to end for fishing there is also a couple of ponds at the park. never fished them Very nice park.Hollemans boat ramp is another place to access the water. You can get a map at the ranger station 1st right after you turn on county park rd. Hope this helps

Reactions: tcfisherman

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You can also access the lake past the park, cross the lake and at the south end of the bridge parking is either side of the road. There are two small bay areas on each side of the bridge you can easily walk down to and bank fish. There are other very good points to walk to if you take the road past the Holleman's entrance, the road turns to dirt. You have to explore. I went down that way one day and came up on a crowd of a dozen good ole' boys with shotguns, and not 3 teeth amoung them collectively. I kindly dismissed myself from "Deliverance" and gladly that day went back toward the ramp area and caught a 5#'er from the nice grassy area there.... You can take a lawn chair, cooler and some live bait and have a decent chance....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I know this topic is very old now but am new to this site and fish Harris often. I had the same questions about the place. I got a contour map and found some good spots but mostly end up pulling out brim or spots. Where are the good bass at? Like I said in another thread, my CC wont fit under the bridge (I put in off 42) and I have a feeling that is where the fat boys are. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am trying to get my little 15' going to I can get into the grass and under the bridge. Thanks!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I believe there are usually two good bets for bass at Harris. There's the grass bite where the bass are hanging around the shallow grass edges, and the deep bite where the bass are in 20' of water. For the bank fisherman the grass bite is the obvious best bet. Only problem may be that the bass prefer to hang around the main lake grass edge which means the bank angler has to cast over the grass mat, hook the monster, and then drag it through the muck to the shore.

Harris bass are worth the effort however. They are big. The grass dies over the winter so bank fishing may work best in late winter / early spring when the bass start moving shallow to spawn but there is no grass to contend with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.