NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some folks in my church that want to take some kids, all under 10, fishing for bream or just something that will bite. Any good suggestions? I live near Lake Lynn and they can go there, but because they will be learning how to cast, I would not want to see a jogger or someone get hooked. Looking for a good place for beginners with space to practice casting and catch something as well.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have some folks in my church that want to take some kids, all under 10, fishing for bream or just something that will bite. Any good suggestions? I live near Lake Lynn and they can go there, but because they will be learning how to cast, I would not want to see a jogger or someone get hooked. Looking for a good place for beginners with space to practice casting and catch something as well.
umstead big lake has a nice grassy area that can accommodate a few kids. Also Durant Park has now opened up the docks lot of nice spots for kids to learn to fish.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Title of this post got me worried, "Fishing for kids"???:eek: I usually fish for fish. After taking a brief pause I realize you meant taking the kids fishing, or "for the benefit of" the kids. LOL

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lake Crabtree is another spot, they have wed night program, no gear or bait needed as they supply it all. Must sign up in advance. Also had a GS event there so if you had enough kids might be able to work out something for like a sat morning youth group event. Shelly lake also has tackle loaner program if I recall correctly. Second Spidey on Durant.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Bond lake has some good access and a deck to fish from. I believe there is still feeders there for channel cats.
forgot about bond lots of nice bank to fish there near the feeders. You want lakes with lots of open area Lynn doesn't have anything like that except for the bridges and kids learning to cast on bridges with people walking is probably a recipe for disaster. The grassy area at bond and umstead be good for kids. The dock at the boat house at durant would be good for a few but the walk ways would be better since the kids can't fall in over the rails

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
2nd crabtree.... Large pier, and fish are fairly plentiful since they can't be eaten.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
My bass club used to host a kids day event at Harris Lake county park, the pier there always had plenty of panfish and the occasional catfish. Casting was not really necessary as all you had to do is drop it next to the pier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm wanting to learn to fly fish and live in the Raleigh area. I've got a fly fishing outfit and I'm looking for good spots in the area. I went to the Neuse a couple weeks ago but I do not have any waders right now so I'm looking for some areas where I can fish from the bank or wade into shallower waters. Any suggestions would be great appreciated!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm wanting to learn to fly fish and live in the Raleigh area. I've got a fly fishing outfit and I'm looking for good spots in the area. I went to the Neuse a couple weeks ago but I do not have any waders right now so I'm looking for some areas where I can fish from the bank or wade into shallower waters. Any suggestions would be great appreciated!
Try durant lake lots of dock to cast from and free of stuff in way. Other best spot would be the grassy area at Umstead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.