NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok if there are any marine biologist out there ,or anyone who knows , what effect on fish does the high and low pressure have. I know it affects them and that it has something to do with the swim bladders making the fish uncomfortable. How long after a pressure change do the fish get back to normal . I know this is ever changing , but I'm just looking for some general guide lines.:confused:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
There's a great article by Dr. David Ross in our articles section on that very subject. Here's a link
http://www.ncangler.com/articles/back-to-school-7/the-pressure-myth-1029/

(Dr. David Ross is a scientist emeritus at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and the author of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=as2&path=ASIN/0811727718&tag=ncangler-20&camp=1789&creative=9325"]The Fisherman’s Ocean [/ame])

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That an interesting article. Guess I can blame no bites on the barmeter huh. Oh Well Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm far from a fish/weather expert/biologist.. but one thing I have learned is that right before bad weather is a good time to fish. Offshore it's miserable conditions,, but.... fish are cooperative. If you can get out there when the barometer is dropping or fixin to drop,, you stand a chance to hook some good fish.. but like I said,, it puts you out in bad weather. Usually most folks would just rather stay on the hill.

I dont like fishin in bad weather, but most of my trips in the last two seasons.. we'd already committed going into it.. and each time we've come away with a good haul... though the crew got wind blown, wet and generally uncomfortable...

We'd all like to fish when the stars/planets align in the perfect setting and the water temp and weather is at it's best... but sometimes payin dues pays off too.

The key to it is to get out there before it "starts" to get bad and head back when it starts kickin up

Just my .02

here's our haul when we went out in a pre-gail warning from a tropical system that was moving across and off the east coast of Fla pushing up our way:

From our last trip out in 20-30 knot winds, rain and impending cold front pushing thru:

Out in a passing front, sea's kicked up to 6-8's, but the mahi's were a bitin! ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
ya know Dave, you grab every opportunity you can to show old Chum Bucket ...uh I mean Tadpole hanging on the rail don't you??!?...LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
hahahaha...haha.. Yes I do... funny,, we normally arent able to get the camera out and take pix in stuff like that.... everyone's usually too busy holdin on!!

Yeah,, not tryin to beat up Jim... but the pic of him sure is a good visual reference!! hahah ha ha ah.... :)
You should see the pix of him I "havent" posted!!!! :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
hahahaha...haha.. Yes I do... funny,, we normally arent able to get the camera out and take pix in stuff like that.... everyone's usually too busy holdin on!!

Yeah,, not tryin to beat up Jim... but the pic of him sure is a good visual reference!! hahah ha ha ah.... :)
You should see the pix of him I "havent" posted!!!! :)

Dave that must be a picture of me hurling one of four times.

Caught fish though didn't I.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I know what it means to me, but kind of hard to put into words.:eek: Yall know me a man of few words.:p

Before a cold front the fish will turn on to feed up prior to the bad weather. Usually that will put you fishing some in the cloudy, windy, maybe rainy weather. This is the falling barometer time. :cool:

After the front passes by the "Blue Bird Days" that follow are usually met with high winds and bright shinny days. HIGH BAROMETER times. :(

Usually after a MAJOR front passes it will take about 3 days for the fishing to pick back up to normal.

Normal barometer is about 29.90, anything below is falling and above is heading towards high. The pressure will move some either high or low daily with out affecting the fish, but any major change towards a falling barometer, you need to put a hook in the water.:D

Hope this makes sense.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.