NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was supposed to go to Topsail this past weekend but the little woman woke up sick as a dog Saturday morning, hack and cack, all the heavy cold sickness. Ended up staying home and consoling wife for the weekend.:(

Not to keep a good man down I ran across the road to the sandhole and NE Cape Fear. Sat on the river for a couple of hours, not even a hit. Went to the sand hole and had 3 hard hits. Not a hook in a fish:eek: but it peaked my interest.

Sunday I had enough about 2 oclock and headed to the same spots. :) Tied on a Texas Orange Cordell Super Spot, 1/4 ounce that was the ticket. First cast and hit a bass. Didn't have my camera so I ran home and got it, on the way back I ran into the owner of the land that I fish. Told him what I was up to and that I had several rods rigged and ready to go. Come on down and lets give em a try.

Gave him a rod with a 1/4ounch Hot Pink rattle trap.:D Yes sir, them fish were hungry. Neils first cast yielded a nice blackfish, thats right I said blackfish. We continued for the next couple of hours and ended up with 3 bass, all about the same as in the picture, and about 10 blackfish (bowfin).

The largest blackfish was 27 inches or so and 15 inches in girth. Hot tip of the day was when you would feel the fish hit and not take it, stop reeling and let it lie on the bottom and they would go back and pick it up and try to run with it. :p

The water in this particular sandhole is from 1-4 feet deep and this is the first year we have seen or caught so many bowfin from there, last year I caught 3 Bass over 8 pounds each.;)

And of course Tess is along for the venture.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Thanks for the report Scott. Is that pit connected to the river or is it a separate pond? I've got a friend who has had access to some property with a couple isolated sand pits this past year - they've had some bonanza days with the bass and some absolute shutouts. Haven't heard of them finding bowfin tho. I need to get down there with them... on one of those bonanza days!

Hope Mrs. H is feeling better.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I was supposed to go to Topsail this past weekend but the little woman woke up sick as a dog Saturday morning, hack and cack, all the heavy cold sickness. Ended up staying home and consoling wife for the weekend.:(
Your a good man.. I had the crud last week along with my two youngins and man it was rough...

Thanx for the fishin report!! keep'm comin!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a seperate pond but during hurricane Fran, everything in this back area was under water. With all the current flowing with the river it washed out a spot in the wall of the pond on the back side.:eek:

But thats a good thing.:cool: The back wall is right up on a little slough and when it rains alot and floods the river it fills the sandhole up. The bass (caugth 3 -8 pounders), large 1 1/2 pound bream, crappie and blackfish flock to this water because its warmer than the surrounding river water. The bait fish go in the cut and the bass follow in hot pursuit.

As soon as ice out, first of Feburary I start my annual pilrimage to the sandhole to fish the warmer waters. They have never let me down the past 7-8 years. :p

Tight lines and be safe out there<*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ECUGMAN is correct on the alasis of the bowfin. Though most people do not eat them, a staunt few do. :eek:

They are a great fighter on light tackle and will take a kink out of your line. They will hit on catfish baits and bass baits. Have caught them on plastic worms, jigs, beetle spins, spinnerbaits, Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue, crankbaits, frozen shrimp, frogen finger mullet and a whole lot of other baits not mentioned. :D

Tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.