NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a procraft bass boat and am just getting into inshore fishing and starting to get into brackish water and am planning on getting to the sound and stuff in the future.
Any body have any idea being in the salt will affect my boat?
Any suggestions about anything I should be besides rinsing with fresh water when I take out?
Took me a long time to be able to get my first boat and want to make sure it lasts.
Thanks for any tips:)
James

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Biggest thing is make sure you flush everything WELL... Livewells and every nook and cranny!! Flush the trailer out as much as possible too... Just waiting until the next day will allow salt to crystalize inside pumps and the engine... I spray my entire engine under the hood with a mist of wd40 as a protectant against corrosion. Just a misting not enought to make it a fire hazard when it gets hot. I spray the coupling on the trailer, the winch and strap buckles too. Be sure to keep wheel bearings flushed with fresh grease especially if you show any sign at all that you may have a bit of leakage. If it lets oil,grease out it will let saltwater in! bearing buddies are designed to help keep positive pressure against the seals and keep water out. Any plug in connections like depth finders, trolling motor plugs etc need a shot of white grease or WD40 to keep corrosion out as well.. I recommend after a season of salt that you have your thermostat replaced just for cheap insurance, but that's just me.... I have an old boat so it is best for me to stay on top of things. Newer stuff may be less prone to corrosion due to better materials.

Reactions: tcfisherman

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
sundrop, Have You Ben Watching Me Clean Up My Boat And Trailer Lol. Reality That Very Good Advice For Any Boat,not Just Our Bass Boats.......................chris

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot to both of u. i knew about washing with fresh water but didn't know of that other stuff. i will have start doing these recomendations.
james

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.