NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forum and NC fishing in general. Moved down here from Western NY a couple of years ago, and am finally getting back into fishing. I am interested in putting a boat on Falls Lake and wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing a boat share on a decent bass boat. I'm looking to learn the lake and possibly get into a couple of local tournaments. If anyone is interested in chatting about this a bit more, shoot me a PM. I'm going to buy one anyways, I just know that it'll sit at the dock and not be used a lot, so why not see if anyone else is looking for a way to get on the water and save some bucks?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Related: anyone know more about new boat sharing services like Boatbound?
https://boatbound.co

Interesting idea -- sort of like Uber for boats, but looks like there would be a lot of opportunities for problems.

Only a few available in NC.

FYI -- joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The biggest issue there is WHO you share with. Who feels responsible when something breaks etc. 2 very honest people, who are good friends, might be able to pull this off but IMO someone always ends up shafted. No gas in the boat, dead batteries, damages no one seems to remember doing, issues over certain times to use the boat, responsibility for the "others" you bring with you.. BIG can of worms with the wrong person. I have one friend I could see doing this with and even then I know there would be conflict eventually and he is like a brother to me for 24yrs. But he is cheap, lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it can pose some problems for sure. I have some legal drafts from other boat shares that spell it all out. I'd also do a background check and credit check, and might agree on an escrow-type account for repairs not covered by insurance. Also would require maintenance be done per schedule by qualified mechanic, all written up in agreement of course.

I'm an engineer with an MBA, so I looovee details. I would definitely be looking for a professional type to do this with.
I have known a few folks that have done this successfully with larger boats on the Great Lakes, figured it's an option worth exploring here.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
My personal opinion to to buy your own boat and use it how you want when you want. The biggest and the baddest might not be in your budget on your own but it doesn't take the nicest to catch fish. In the end you'll be much happier and won't have to worry about doing all of the extra legal work plus you'll be able to go fishing when you want with who you want, where you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello All,

New to the forum and NC fishing in general. Moved down here from Western NY a couple of years ago, and am finally getting back into fishing. I am interested in putting a boat on Falls Lake and wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing a boat share on a decent bass boat. I'm looking to learn the lake and possibly get into a couple of local tournaments. If anyone is interested in chatting about this a bit more, shoot me a PM. I'm going to buy one anyways, I just know that it'll sit at the dock and not be used a lot, so why not see if anyone else is looking for a way to get on the water and save some bucks?

Jeff
Former WNY'er myself, and just picked up a boat for club & tournament fishing. I thought about how great it would be to have a "share" program and now that I have had my boat for a few weeks, I'm glad I have my own even though it's not brand new or the fastest, it's nice knowing it's mine. I would find a friend that is generous with the gas money over finding one that will share. Just my 2 cents. Let me know if you're looking for a club or info on any of the local tournaments. Tight lines.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Not sure if this would work or not. It sounds like a good idea, but too many negatives. Just buy your own, maybe not quite as new and shiny and you will be better off. It seems that it would be like going into business with family. It usually doens't work out nicely.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't know of many fisherman who are up to all of that legal paper work just to go fishing. Hah

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You would be surprised with the rising costs of boats, maintenance, and operation.
It's really no different than 2 friends going in on halves for a boat or drum wagon. Happens all the time.
These agreements are just more formal to equally protect the interest of both parties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts