NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really just got into this sport last year and my collection of equipment is growing with time. I wanted to ask some serious bass anglers on what i need buy as far as rod/reels/sizes/lures/colors ect. Thanks in advance fot any suggestions.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
pppssstttt* psssttt* hey, hey Tackle Monkey..... he's over here>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> LOOKOUT TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Hey Twilight,
There's a lot to be mined from some recent forum posts on favorite freshwater lures, top 5 bass lures - worth some searches and poking around the freshwater forum from the last several months. The problem you'll run into is that everybody you ask is going to have a different favorite few lures, techniques, and rod/reel combos.

Before you dive in, know that the manufacturers have covered every income category, every color combination and everything else that might "catch" the angler. I came to my collection more by shopping than by architecting a plan. I bought stuff I thought looked good or heard worked well for other people and collected it over time. After many attempts at organizing and reorganizing, I've found myself in a distinct pattern of plano boxes for specific purposes - topwater hardbaits, shallow crankbaits, deep crankbaits, hard jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, worming tackle (worm weights & hooks for jigging, C-rig, T-rig, dropshot), and a big box of plastics of all types. I think that's pretty typical, and the pattern to be learned from me and others is to divide the water column and make sure you can cover a variety of depths with something YOU have confidence in. I've developed my confidence in crankbaits and plastic worms, but not as much in Jigs and spinnerbaits, so my collection reflects that.

Once you get the water columns covered, then start to fill out with different speeds/actions and colors for each column to address different times of year and different bait patterns.

For colors I mostly go with shad or craw colored crankbaits (prevalent forage for my area), and lump the plastics into 3 categories: light (white/chartreuse), medium (greens, browns - pumpkin, watermelon) and dark (junebug, black, red shad). I favor light for the upper water column or when imitating shad. Medium for clear water/medium depths and dark for stained water/deeper depths.

For rods/reels, you CAN do anything with just about any rod/reel, but you'll get the best performance and efficiency with equipment that's well matched to itself and to the lure and presentation. Its hard to cast anything under 1/4oz with a baitcaster - much better done with a spinning combo.

That's all pretty generic advice - hope it can be applied to your situation.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I'm no where near a serious fresh water fisher, but some things have worked for me that I know I stand a chance of catching something on.

Small Rapala silver with black back medium diving minnow (about 2 1/2 inches long)

Small Yozuri pencil or stick medium diving minnow plug (purple or yellow or black back - silver sided)

Bill Dance shad swimmin image top water or medium diving plug

And live bait (minnow's/worms) works pretty good as well

Welcome on to the group!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The next best thing, pick up a book. If you have some spare time or just like to read, bass books can be the best thing ever for just starting out with Bass fishing. Cause lure and gear isn't always the thing. You have to look at the time of season, weather, temperature, and few other things that play a huge role in where to go and what to throw. With Spring time approaching the water is going to start warming up, and water temps of 45-about 57 will be your pre spawn type pattern. Using your jerkbaits, craink, and spinnerbaits are going to be my go to usually. I'm usually in about 8-14 ft of water on points heading from channels into the flats where they will spawn. They also stage on docks that lead into spwning zones. Bass at around 55-65 type temps fish are on the flats to start to spawn. Then switch over to your top water, worms, (lizards):) my favorite and male bass will still hit spinners and crainks too while there guarding the nest,,, and then like Jeffonc mentioned colors for that area. But if your fishing for spawning fish I like using a medium action rod with a spinning reel. Usually have 8lb flouro line on it for my worms and lizards, c-rig and t-rig.

Then as post spawn happens they usually follow the same path out of the flats back to there deeper summer patter. But as you learn there are times and just some fish that stay shallow all summer. If there is good cover, nice weed beds things like that and food they will stay shallow.

If you fishing heavy cover (trees, matted grass, weed) a heavy rod 7' ish,,, baitcaster with I like a 20lb power pro, or if its really really clear water a 14-18 flouro. With that frog fishing is my favorite type of bass fishing, nothing like a bass blowing up on a frog as it swims across the top of the water.

If theres anything in particular just ask away and I'll be glad to help the best I can.

BassAngler1

But all personal preference when it comes to reels and rods and there is no set price, set ups can go from $20 all the way to $700.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Now that you have had time to figure thru all that information:p

Jeffonc and a couple of others have given some solid advise. Fish change from day to day, season to season and from morning to dark. You have to be able to spot these changes to keep on the fish. It takes a lot of time on the water and a lot of fishing to eleminate unproductive zones and techniques. The all of a sudden you work into a pattern and the fish are all over it. Take this information and figure other areas just like this one and you can go across the lake and catch them there also.

Lures catch people:eek: I do use charteuse's, bright greens but make sure that is what you need. Have several lures in assorted colors, light or dark colors, sunny days or dark overcast.

Rods and reels, buy the best ones you can afford. If you money is funny then get the lesser brands, they all will catch fish. Heck look how many fish are caught on Zebco 33's every year, bunches. the better quality reels will usually have a lifetime guarantee on them, I took one to get cleaned, it was 10 years old, since they changed out a few washers in the reel, there wasn't a charge. I still have that reel and its been 30 years or so now.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Start out with what you can afford for rod and reels, the same for tackle, talk with other fisherman on the site, or go down to locals ramps and talk to guys that just came in from fishing, go to tackle shops and ask what bass fisherman are buying for that time of the season, as you get better at the fishing game you can up pick up a little better priced equipment to fish with, also yard sales and flea markets are a great place to buy good tackle......................chris

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Before long you'll be able to open your own tackle shop. :rolleyes:

Its a good idea to put like items together and put them in clear plastic tackle totes, you can grab one out of the softsided bag and see what is inside the tote. Change the plastci containers out during the season to be ready for topwater, bottom fishing or crankbaiting.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was just about to start writing you some advice on this subject but read the whole thread first. If you heed the advice on equipment, bait and lures given to you by Jeffonc and the advice on the time of year, weather patterns etc given to you by bassangler1, you will do fine. Fishing is just the type of thing that you have to find out what works for you as well as listening to what is happening at that time.. Listen to the old men also, between the tall tales, you will find much useful information. The only thing I have to disagree on about lures is spinner type lures. The Chartruese buzzbait is my all time favorite bass lure. I have caught alot of big bass on it. But like anything else, if its not working at the time, change up your strategy. Good luck, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The best thing that I tell you is go out there and try what you have. Watch for what other people are using. ask questions for the most part all anglers will give you some advise........Some good ......Some bad the biggest thing is get out and injoy youeself..........Ed

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
All good information, get the local sports pages, North Carolina Sportsman is a great source of information. Local websites like this are invaluable. The guys there are giving first hand one the spot information on whats happening right this second or while they were on the water.

tight lines and be safe out there

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I used to get several different fishing mags. Now I get NC Sportsman and IN Fisherman (it was a gift) and that is all I need. NCS is a great publication!!! I also watch Carolina Outdoor Journal on PBS to round it out! But usually by the time I read it in NCS I've already heard about it on NCAngler!!!!!!!

*please note signature line below!!!!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in an area with a lot of transits, people moving in and out, I tell them all the same thing use what you have faith in. Secondly no two people will fish a bait the same way, what works for one person may not work for the other. Recently for me besides my spinner and buzz baits I have been using a lot of the Senko type baits. Again the different brands all act differently in the water. One may fall slower than the other, one may have deeper ridges that hold more scent of give off a different vibration, one may be softer than the other.
If you get into watching the fishing shows remember one thing it may take them 2 or three days to film and catch those fish.
Once you start fishing keep a log of what happenned, what the water was like, what was the weather, time of day, and what you were using. over time this will be a very valuable assest in it's self.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
my advise go to a tackle shop and buy it all!! because sooner or later you WILL own it all..

but basic set ups
6'6'' medium heavy casting stick is the all around stick -i don't even own a 6'6'' rod-

7' heavy action casting stick is use full for jigs, spinner baits, and the dreaded carolina rig..

a 7 foot medium action rod is a good choice for crank baits..

a 7 foot spinning rod is great for light t-rigged lures and the shakey head..

remember all of the above need decent reels..

for tackle boxes i sugesst the 370 bass pro extreme -trust me you'll fill it-

think i am joking on my opening statement this is a picture of just the rods i keep in the boat..

we as bass anglers are known for driving around in our flashy very exspensive tackle boxes we call boats..which we are absolutly posessed about keeping clean..

hey if your pay out as much as we do on boats,gas,oil. that sucker better be clean.-i got to clean mine again it's nasty-

see i missed a spot..

zooker

·
Registered
124 Posts
luremaker pointed out one of the best things you can do, create yourself a log. For a while I was always like log who needs one, but then you actually make one and do everthing luremaker said to do in it and you will notice a huge difference in the way you start to think out there.

BA1

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
it gets good and bloody ta. i just stay on top of it and clean it often. i wax the boat once a month.. with a buffer and carnuba wax.. i clean the tires, rims once a moth also.. inside gets cleaned every other week and wiped down every time i pull the boat out of the water..i have a WHITE boat which i fish some pretty nasty water with.-it aint the fairly clean ocean-

zooker

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
it gets good and bloody ta. i just stay on top of it and clean it often. i wax the boat once a month.. with a buffer and carnuba wax.. i clean the tires, rims once a moth also.. inside gets cleaned every other week and wiped down every time i pull the boat out of the water..i have a WHITE boat which i fish some pretty nasty water with.-it aint the fairly clean ocean-

zooker
Sounds like a lot of work but the boat looks great. You can come "teach" me how on my boat anytime you want. :D;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.