NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello we put our boat in at riverside sports and go upa nd down the river there. i am very interested in some new techniques that work to catch bass. we often try minnows and live bait and sometimes carolina rigs and lures often not getting anywhere with the lures. can someone please tell me how to use a lure correctly and how to use the carolina rig correctly to catch nice bass? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Not real sure what the river is like down there in terms of current, clarity or bottom type, but here's a couple things I reach for when fishing in river areas:

1) an inline spinner - start with a Rooster tail in 1/8 ounce on a lightweight rod&reel. throw and throw and throw and throw. Toss it into riffles and pull into slacker water. Pull past rocks, limbs, etc... Make sure you're not pulling it so fast that its up on top of the water column - just an easy retrieve that keeps it off the bottom and keeps the blade spinning. Works all year round.

2) Use a small jerk bait - 3-to-3.5" yo-zuri minnow in a flashy color (I like a holographic gold). cast, jerk the rod 2 feet, crank the slack, jerk, crank the slack, jerk, crank the slack, etc... repeat. Best when fish are active spring/summer/fall. Slow down the jerk in winter, and switch to a suspending bait to keep it in the strike zone longer.

3) In warm weather try topwater baits early in the morning. Get there at daybreak and fish up under any overhanging trees and brush. Use a 4-to-5" floating twitch bait like the rapala minnow (or yo-zuri or rebel or strike king or bomber or rogue, etc...). Cast it, let it sit until the ripples are gone, then just twitch it an inch and wait several seconds. repeat. Or try a buzzing frog (like zoom horny toad, gambler flappin toad, etc...) Rigged weightless with a big worm hook. buzz it across the surface just fast enough to keep it on top and keep the legs kicking - focus on woody areas like overhangs, laydowns and stick ups.

4) Use a diving crankbait in a crawdad color any time of year. Get it into the protected water behind any rock you can find. Look for the surface ripples and get the craw to come beside the rock in the current and into the slack water behind. You want one that dives deep enough to get to the bottom. Use a floater with a big bill so that when it does catch the bill in a crevice you can let it float back up. Best if you've got some way to go get it back when you hang it up, which will happen in rocky places.

5) 4-to-5" finesse worm on a jig head any time of year. hopped along the bottom of any pools you can find or up against the backsides of any big rocks that may be providing a current block.

The key to getting started with any artificial is to keep using it until you start to catch some fish and gain some confidence. Vary your retrieve, vary your colors and keep trying slightly different things until you find a combination that works. Once you gain some confidence it gets a lot easier to keep on going with it when they're not biting so well. With more time on the lures you'll gain a better feel for what they are doing and what the fish like. It becomes a self-feeding cycle - more confidence->use it more->get better at it->even more confidence, etc...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Some thoughts on the Carolina rig in the river question:
  • Try a scent product if you haven't already - I'm convinced that they work on slow moving soft plastic baits.
  • Find the deepest water you can to drag it through.
  • Focus on areas where there's some defined structure, like points where creeks run into the river.
  • Try smaller baits like finesse worms & caterpillars.
  • Baits with lots of appendages will catch more water/current - may not be what you want in moving water.
  • Watch the length of your leader in moving water - 18" may be better than 4' to keep the bait out of trouble and let you feel a fish taking it.
  • Use a heavier sinker in moving water than in calm water- you'll need it to keep itself pinned to the bottom and to help you keep enough tension on the rig so you can feel what's happening behind the sinker.
If you're already doing all of those, then you don't need help!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
:D Follow the advise of the last two post

Also look for and fish the wood, the old addage it your not getting hung up your not fishing. On the Cape Fear from where you are at go down river and you will see a couple of creeks on the right, 1 of them is a good size and you can go way up it, good place to get ready for the spawn. Shallow flats.

I like a Rattlin Rogue, black back, silver sides, orange belly in the 4-5 inch model. Cast it to the bank, and then twitch , sit a sec ond and then twitch again, and then jerk bait it back to the boat and start again. I have caught untold hundreds of bass on this lure and technique, including the Cape Fear at Fayetteville.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hire a guide,
A guide can be very instrumental in teaching an old dog new tricks so to speak. Every lure you see on the shelf of your local Wal-Mart can be used in many different ways in order to catch fish. Fishing is becoming so competitive these days, it is important to be versitile and show the fish a little something different. Just my opinion

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im with Jeffonc on this one, i used a spinerbait in the cape fear and tore 'em up, no joke. I got a 99 cent spinnerbait at Gander mtn and caught bass every time i tied it on, its a solid white one with a 2inch grub on the hook (the tail gives it great swimming action). Just throwin it out there, you can bend the spinnerbait out wider to swim it slower through the water. Also, during the summer you should try using a buzz bait, it drives bass crazy, good luck yall.:D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Try a square bill crank bait such as the Lucky Craft RC 1.5. Throw up to the bank and make it bounce of the wood on the retrieve. I tore'em up on the Cape Fear last year with an RC 1.5. Since the water is fairly muddy, get a Chartreuse colored crank.

Also, can't go wrong with a big black jitter bug first thing in the morning. I've had a lot of bites on a texas rigged worm (black or purple seems to work best).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Check into the FAAN. We have meetings once a month and some of us are thinking about hitting the bass scene in the Cape Fear. Free to join and lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Check into the FAAN. We have meetings once a month and some of us are thinking about hitting the bass scene in the Cape Fear. Free to join and lots of fun.
I agree there are some members of the FAAN that may be able to help you on this! there are some of us that would like to hunt the bass on the river but have not gotten around to it! good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.