NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been trying to find some good places to catch some largemouth bass near Jacksonville, I've tried the Maysville and New Bern quarries with not much luck. But was looking for more places to fish. I'm really looking for places I can fish from the bank cause I do not have a boat currently to go out anywhere. I am willing to drive out within an hour or so away, just really wanting some good places to fish and any help would be great, Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garry,
It will be tough to find spots without a boat. I don't know your situation, perhaps you can get a kayak if a full size boat is not feasible right now (boat market is plagued with extremely low inventory and as a result, high prices right now). It is nearly impossible to fish the edges of most of the rivers or creeks in southeastern NC because the banks are overgrown with vegetation, meaning no casting lanes. The creeks around Jacksonville off the New River are worthy of exploration, especially if you can get a boat. There is a park off the New River in J'ville. I have seen folks fishing there. Check the ponds just south of J'ville right off US Hwy 17 in the Stones Creek game land. No direct experience there but it might hold a fish or two and appears to have some bank access. You can also take a short drive over to Maysville and fish the old quarry ponds beside the White Oak campground. There is bank access at these. Two other places to mention that are a short drive away: Cabin Lake county Park off Hwy 111 north of Beulaville and old Maxwell Mill Pond just west of Pink Hill, NC. Finally, don't overlook various retention ponds in your area. Lots of these are around apartment complexes, business/industrial parks, shopping centers. Generally, use 6 or 8 lb. line and smaller lures at these small ponds for best results. Be smart about fishing these: check for posted signs, practice catch and release and leave no trace.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts