NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Beard Fish Fisherman Sky Day started out great -- got a nice 6lbs 12oz hawg on the first point I fished on one of my early casts. Big gal went for a Rapala DT20. Fish didn't hit the crank deep, but near the boat as the lure was banging in to some shallow rocks just a few feet from my yak. Hoped that meant I had located some big fish stacked up there, but that was it for that spot. Found scattered fish after that but found no single pattern and had to paddle/pedal (Mariner Propel) the entire lake to locate them. Most were small bass, but the "small" class was upgraded a bit over previous weeks -- most fish yesterday were clearly in the 1-2lb range, with only a handful of smaller dinks. Multiple fish on a buzzbait, several on shallow crank (KVD 1.5, chartreuse & blacK), a few on a DT10 --including a bluegill that had two hooks on the front treble in his mouth!, and a few good fish on a drop-shot. Actually caught four fish in the 3lb+ range, including one that was just under 4lbs. Always fun to catch that size fish -- they seem always to fight very hard for their size. Actually caught two bass on a single lure -- made an "accidentally" great cast right against the bank, and the two fish must have pounced on it simultaneously as the start of the retrieve. I've hooked two at once every now and then, but one or both always seem to shake free. But this time both fish were securely hooked up, so well, in fact, that it was a challenge to work the hooks free with pliers. Never could find an afternoon bite with any consistency; long time between fish, and no more than one or two from a single spot. But still accumulated around 20 fish for the day. They made me work for 'em, but it was still a pretty good day.

First shot below on left is the bigger three pounder -- forget exact weight, but recall it was some like 3lbs 12oz or 14oz.

// joel

P.S., sorry to appear topless in the photos, but left my hat at home. Will never do that again -- was fighting terrible glare all day, and now my lily-white forehead is sunburned.

Water Outerwear Vertebrate Mammal Lake Water Vertebrate Liquid Fluid Lake

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fishing_RN: happy to share techniques, lures, conditions, etc., but I'd rather not post location in a public forum as it's a small lake that already gets a lot of fishing pressure. Plus the fishermen who shared all their knowledge of the lake would break my rod tips and poke holes in my yak if I shared the location. // joel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fishing_RN: happy to share techniques, lures, conditions, etc., but I'd rather not post location in a public forum as it's a small lake that already gets a lot of fishing pressure. Plus the fishermen who shared all their knowledge of the lake would break my rod tips and poke holes in my yak if I shared the location. // joel
I understand. I thought you were fishing one of the larger public lakes. Tight lines.

John.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nice day and congrats on the double. I know what you mean about the hat. I wont' get on the water without a hat and sunglasses. At least you still have plenty of hair to protect the top of your head. Some of us arent' that lucky. :(

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, a billed cap is essential, esp if there's no cloud cover. I always seem to leave at least one thing, and it's interesting to see what that will be on a given day. One thing I try to do is identify "deal-breakers" -- things that if you leave/forget will ruin your day, and try to have backups or some contingency plan. So I think in this case it means I will keep at least a couple of old hats in my vehicle for backup. Another strategy is to focus on those essential items, and make sure I put them in my vehicle immediately when I think of them; other things I can postpone and risk leaving, but not my essential items. Obviously a checklist would help tremendously. // joel

Reactions: bustman
1 - 7 of 7 Posts