NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Headed to Shearon Harris this weekend for the first time in a couple years. How is the bass bite there now. Figured it ought to be time to catch them on the beds in the shallows. Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Man unless it's improved you are wasting your time. They had a tournament there several weeks back and out of 47 boat they weighed in two fish. Probably better off to go to Jordan or Falls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man unless it's improved you are wasting your time. They had a tournament there several weeks back and out of 47 boat they weighed in two fish. Probably better off to go to Jordan or Falls.
Dang, that ain't good! Appreciate the heads up. Might do something diffrent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Holy cow, those numbers are terrible - especially considering if people are there for a tournament they are probably at least semi-skilled. I went there once back in the winter with no luck but had planned on returning at some point. I watched a video this morning about a 20 year study that was leaning towards bass being harder to catch over time with a possible continuing trend in that direction. I haven't been fishing very long at all but for any of the vet's out there has anyone noticed that trend around here? If so do you think it's just more people are fishing and increased pressure or other factors/variables that weigh in?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Reports of a massive shad kill that wasn't temperature related. Nobody reporting any decent fishing that I've seen. Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Place is an absolute Dead Sea since they killed all the grass. That makes several fisheries our wonderful WRC has destroyed due to killing grass. They honestly should just drain it or fill it with spots. It breaks my heart to see what has happened to that fishery and several others. If they had left it alone it would still be the greatest small lake in the world.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Place is an absolute Dead Sea since they killed all the grass. That makes several fisheries our wonderful WRC has destroyed due to killing grass. They honestly should just drain it or fill it with spots. It breaks my heart to see what has happened to that fishery and several others. If they had left it alone it would still be the greatest small lake in the world.
I have seen same thing happen in local neighborhood lakes. One had lovely grass and Lilly pads however folks in HOA complained about the look. They came in killed it all lowered water level of the lake and now the fishing absolutely sucks.

Reactions: Cam

·
Registered
197 Posts
Howd they kill the grass and why?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The plant and the Wildlife both denied it from what I heard. MLF is going there tomorrow, let's see what the do.....
Kinda weird to blame Wildlife when I'm not aware of them being in business of herbicide treatments. I get power plants being a possible suspect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Howd they kill the grass and why?
2 ways......spraying which I saw with my own eyes. And releasing a crap ton of grass carp in the lake. It started with ncsu using experimental chemicals to kills grass to be tested in Shearon Harris first before being used in Florida. They claimed they would only spray in small portions of the lake. Then the year after the grass started disappearing and then a couple years later completely gone and hasn’t returned. Now it’s a Dead Sea. The wildlife and Duke energy had their hands in it but Duke energy wasn’t the blame for killing the grass in Mayo, buggs, Gaston, tuckertown, currituck, mattamuskeet, the Greensboro city lakes and Norman. It’s been proven that every timethe grass is killed in the lake the ecosystem goes with it. And it doesn’t matter what MLF does tomorrow. It’s freaking april Where every bass in the lake is up shallow. So even if the rent aren’t many left(which there aren’t) they will be exploited. I fished that lake from 1990 til the grass was removed and it was the greatest small lake in the world up to that point. I don’t knowwhy they won’t leave the grass alone. It’s the best thing that ever happened to any lake for fishing and all wildlife.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kinda weird to blame Wildlife when I'm not aware of them being in business of herbicide treatments. I get power plants being a possible suspect.
Lol I can tell you know very little if you think the ncwrc doesn’t spray every single piece of submerged aquatic vegetation that they can find.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The MLF is fishing Harris today. They are catching a decent number of fish. Some 5+ fish showing up too. There is catch details on the website. Looks like mostly pitching jigs/plastics but some catching on bladed jigs, frogs, and trick/finesse worms. They had fished Jordan the previous days and it fished much better, however.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The MLF is fishing Harris today. They are catching a decent number of fish. Some 5+ fish showing up too. There is catch details on the website. Looks like mostly pitching jigs/plastics but some catching on bladed jigs, frogs, and trick/finesse worms. They had fished Jordan the previous days and it fished much better, however.
It’s decent. Nothing like the last time they came. But again.....every fish in the lake is in some phase of the spawn so it’s very easy even on a lake that doesn’t have many. It’s not rocket science this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

The final results from the MLF knock out round. Not exactly crushing it but some decent catches. Reading about it they were all fishing for spawners casting to spawning areas or sight fishing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You got any idea why they would do that? I’ve lived here for a few years and fished here multiple times but caught nothing. It’s a shame that the fishings no good since I live so close and it’s the one lake I feel safe keeping the fish from.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You got any idea why they would do that? I’ve lived here for a few years and fished here multiple times but caught nothing. It’s a shame that the fishings no good since I live so close and it’s the one lake I feel safe keeping the fish from.
I have been trying to figure out why the ncwrc does ANYTHING that they do for 30 years. From the time I started fishing 1990 to about 2009 we had a lot of lakes that had grass and great fishing along with it. Only one of those lakes is still good even though it’s not what it once was. All I know is they kill any submerged grass they can find. Their mismanagment ruined 2 of the best bass lakes on planet earth.....Shearon Harris and mattamuskeet. And their(as well as virginia) poor management of currituck sound and the saltwater pump that they didn’t fix completely destroyed it. About 10-12 years ago tuckertown lake got some submerged river grass in it and you talk about incredible......the fishing went through the roof on that lake. It last 3-4 years and then the state found out and they went sprayed it and released a billion grass carp in it. All of the Greensboro city lakes, oak hollow, high point city lake all had some hydrilla in them.....not a speck to be found now. Lake reidsville was loaded with grass and absolutely slam jam full of bass from 4-10 lbs.....they killed every single bit of it and now you’re fortunate if you get 3-4 bites there. Buggs island got some hydrilla in it and they killed it and then they claimed the lake got the bass virus which is probably true.....but killing the grass did nothing to help it. Every time they’ve killed it on gaston it has taken it years to rebound. Lake Mayo was full of hydrilla and full of 2-5 lbs largemouth. Now it’s pretty dead compared to when the grass existed. Next time you see someone that works for the ncwrc you should ask them why they brought flat heads to several of our river systems(which are invasive species) but won’t leave hydrilla alone? There, I’ve been around long enough to know what happens to lakes that our wonderful state decided to kill the whole ecosystem. The fishing sucked in the mlf tournament at Harris. You will hear someone that has only fished Harris for 5-7 years say “there’s nothing wrong with the lake” blah blah blah but they have no idea what it was before it was ruined.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts