NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello NCAnglers, I had a couple questions if you all wouldn't mind answering. When I return home from my overseas deployment... I'm hoping to not miss all the bass spawn but I think I will in mid May, I'm looking for a good spot to go fish. I'm also wanting to try somewhere new. So far I've fished, High Rock, Jordan, Falls, Tar Resivoir, and a few other small lakes and rivers. But, I'm hoping on camping for a few days with electrical hook up so a small lake would not be the best. What I'm looking at so far was either Gaston or Kerr but due to low water levels and with the prediction of even lower water levels I was thinking of some where else. I've never fished Santee (Lake Marion) because of all the horror stories I hear of taking your lower unit off from all the stumps and trees. But is Santee that bad with a good map and if you just take your time on it. Any suggestions of other places for that time frame or advice for Santee I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

BassAngler

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Can't help you with a spot -- the lower unit on my kayak is not as touchy as most bass boats -- but I did want to welcome you to the board and thank you for your service!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Gaston hasn't suffered much from the drought and would be a great place for camping/fishing. I recommend Americamps in Bracey VA for full hook-ups and an adequate marina w/pool.

Reactions: BassAngler1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I actually joined here a little more than a year ago but I couldn't remember my username lol. But now I'm back and have found my username so I'll be posting more regularly when I get back into town and doing some fishing.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
over hearing a little birdy at work today.. say's big bass are to be had at Shearon Harris right now (in the 7- 9 lb range). With the warm weather they've come up a little from holding at the 5 ft depth mark.

Can be taken on jigs and fish creek channel edges to the east/south part of the lake.

Cary channel must be a "code" word and I also heard fishin the "grass" and "Island"... so if it's where I'm thinkin'.... I'd say the take the south east main channel there from the Harris dam and fish them back coves/cove areas and the creek channels and grass areas towards them stump areas in the back.

From what was said... all are keeper size with some hog's in and around... I have no reason to doubt the source of info.

Good luck!!! Harris right now.. is HOT, that would probably be the best bet. ;)

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Thanks Agent 009...LOL!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Intel is easy to come by around fisherman... for some reason, they cant keep a good thing secret for too long! ;) (loose lips....)

AFSC is what AF call's it Mike... nah.. 20 years of doin what I'm doin.. I think what I've got planned coming up will suite me just fine! :);)

The jibber jabber intel is pretty rampant right now. I guess there's a freshwater/bass expo this weekend at a Gander Mnt as well, not sure if it's the Fayetteville or Greensboro one.. my instinct says it might be the Fayetteville one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I made it home sound and safe. Got all of my fishing gear ready and the boat ready to go. We have our reservation at Americamps can't wait to get back up there. Just wondering if anyone has any latest info on the bass in gaston right now. I will be sure to post some pictures if we catch some nice fish up there. Thanks for the any info in advance we leave in about 12 hours.

Take care BA1

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Glad your back safe and sound!!!! Have a great time!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.