NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This lake is fairly close to my house but ive only caught catfish out of it near the feeders. people are claiming to have caught 10lb bass in this lake and i was just wondering where are the bass??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
293 Posts
This lake is fairly close to my house but ive only caught catfish out of it near the feeders. people are claiming to have caught 10lb bass in this lake and i was just wondering where are the bass??

thanks in advance
I can vouch for the 10lber....cause I caught one. My personal best. Caught from my canoe, but now they have a lot of fishing restrictions and you have to be permitted through Apex or they will run you off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're an Apex resident the permit is free. Otherwise it is $20 for the year (at least it was...). If you plan on using a canoe or kayak there's a fee for the boat as well...not sure how much. You can get everything at the Apex city hall.

Greg

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you're an Apex resident the permit is free. Otherwise it is $20 for the year (at least it was...). If you plan on using a canoe or kayak there's a fee for the boat as well...not sure how much. You can get everything at the Apex city hall.

Greg
Yeah, I checked into that a while ago and it wasn't worth the $$ or hassle for me as a non-resident. It's a nice lake though, I walk around it a lot with the dogs, I just don't fish in it anymore.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What part of NC is this "APEX" in, Ive been looking for a few places to drop an inflatable boat in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah i wont be bringing a canoe or anything i was just wondering where the bass are hanging around
Since I haven't been there in over a year, I'll let you in on a little honey hole I know about. I'm sure I'm not the only one anyhow :D

If you go to the canoe launch, stand on the left side of where the launch is as far as you can and cast right along the left bank. There's a hole somewhere out there and I have pulled bass after bass out of that spot. Change up your bait and presentation until something hits. I've caught them on worms, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits along there.

Greg

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you are not a resident of Apex, the fishing permit is $25 per year and the boating (canoe, kayak, etc.) permit is $40 per year.

I'm not sure where Apex gets off thinking it is reasonable to charge $25 to fish "their" lake when a statewide freshwater fishing license is only $15 per year. Following this logic I don't understand why they don't charge everybody that is a non-resident that walks around the lake for a $20 per year "walking permit."

If they would lower these fees to something at least in the ballpark of reasonable I'm sure more people would actually pay them (most don't).

Its too bad, it is a nice lake. Off soap box now :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I
Since I haven't been there in over a year, I'll let you in on a little honey hole I know about. I'm sure I'm not the only one anyhow :D

If you go to the canoe launch, stand on the left side of where the launch is as far as you can and cast right along the left bank. There's a hole somewhere out there and I have pulled bass after bass out of that spot. Change up your bait and presentation until something hits. I've caught them on worms, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits along there.

Greg
Thanks for the tip but which launch are you talking about, the one near the tenis courts or the one near the parking lot?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I

Thanks for the tip but which launch are you talking about, the one near the tenis courts or the one near the parking lot?
Not sure...I only know of one official canoe/kayak launch there. I remember that it's just off a large parking lot with a few picnic shelters and restrooms and you have to walk a little way to get to it. Can't remember seeing any tennis courts there but since tennis is one of those sports I hate, I would hardly notice courts being close by (nothing against tennis players).

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
launch near the dam is only for town of apex and/or ncwrc to launch boats to fill feeder or other stuff,....launch for us regular people is in the back..........yeah apex chgs too much...whyy doesnt cary charge apex residents to bank fish bond???

Reactions: FishinCary
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.