NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's located in Holly Springs just off Bass Lake Road coming from a) Sunset Lake Road or b) Holly Springs Road. A rather decent sized lake, complete with docks and banks to fish from. In the summer, it has feeders in three locations. One is off the bank right next to the parking lot, the second by the docks, and the third along the path within visible distance of the bank and docks.

I've only started catfishing last summer, due to my inability to hit the Atlantic enough. I haven't really purchased a rod devoted to catfishing quite yet, but I will... oh, I will. Right now, I'm using one of my old Ugly Sticks that I've replaced with a newer rod for salt-water fishing.

Question: Although we've brought in bream as early as last Friday, and shad on a net, the cats just won't bite. We caught one cat off cut shad by the third feeder off the path... and it was mad hard. 5 hours of fishing, 1x 1.5 lb fish. Has anyone had any more luck and seen the activity build up because of the relatively warm weather? I know it dropped today considerably... but maybe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Have you tried finding out what they use to feed them and finding something that is close in size and shape??

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fresh shrimp is a good catfish bait in any waters. Liver is always good as well. With liver, be sure to change bait if you dont get a bite in 30 min. since the blood washes out in the water.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've used raw shrimp. Although it's still winter, we've had a few hits on them. Unfortunately, we never caught anything on it. We've used night crawlers as well, and that has done remarkable in that lake in this time of the season.

Usually we're riggin' up on some stinkbait, but nothing'll hit that that in these chilly waters.

The feed that they use for the fish on the automatic feeders in the summer are the same stuff that you see carps eat at big public areas... like the hard-pellet thingies. To my knowledge, it can't be hooked... right?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Arojekt-I used to have good luck at Crabtree Lake in Morrisville for big cats. We'd fish off Evans Road off of Aviation Parkway, there's a decent sized creek that feeds into the main lake right there. We always used liver and usually got several big fish on each trip. I haven't been down there in several years but I bet they're still there. We fished all the way from the foot bridge up to the main lake. I seem to remember quite a few in the ten pound range. I wouldn't eat them out of there though.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Arojekt-I used to have good luck at Crabtree Lake in Morrisville for big cats... I wouldn't eat them out of there though.
Why's that?
An electrical transformer shop over by the 70/540 intersection had PCB runoff over a number of year which has polluted the sediment and fish populations through Brier Creek, Lake Crabtree and into Crabtree creek. If you go to the lake you'll see the signs all over telling you not to eat the fish.

EPA is doing a cleanup of the actual site - I've seen the dirt mound and some excavated creekbed from 540. Need to stop in and see what's going on...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.