NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like your mount. Looks like a winner to me. How many people are actually having a fish mounted versus a replica? Is this a dying art for fish mounts with all the catch and release going on these days. The deer is pretty much a given. I think, personally, I'd rather have the fish mounted, but I'm a geezer and think like one. Congrats on your efforts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
An addendum. Your story reminded me of one of my stories. I was at a clients house one day doing some work. He was a wood carver that did birds and decoys and was a well known artist. Anyway, his interests had gone from birds to fish and while I was there one of his friends , who worked at Sea World in San Diego, came by with several fresh fish for him to use as models for his carving. He had several aquarium displays full of carved fish so lifelike they looked like they should be moving. Thanks for the 30-35 yr old memory.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer skin mounts to replicas. It seems like a dying art. Replicas became real popular a few years back but I have had a lot of people asking for skin mounts recently.

To me, having a fake fish on the wall painted to resemble a picture instead of "my trophy " makes no sence. Just doesn't have the same heart felt accomplishment as looking at the actual fish.

Then again, I understand respecting a large trophy fish and releasing it for the next generation.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I also prefer mounts over replicas, though I own neither. Few fishermen will have more than a couple done ever; most will have none. The impact is pretty negligible and it isn't wasted IMO. I think you did a fine job on that one.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Id say that one looks pretty good, especially considering you dont have alot of experience with bass. As a fishing forum junky I have seen alot of pictures of bass mounts over the years and some look terrible to be honest, they resemble those big mouth bass mailboxes that bass pro sells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.