NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year again and bass are killing the topwater lures. One of my favorites is the APDiver...(Allen Peyton---aka...Tarheel Fly Flinger). This is a great fly and you can tie it weedless. That's Allen this is a great one..:D
These floater/divers are kinda a knock off of a Dahlberg diver. I used feathers and maribou but can be made with other materials. I have a double weed guard on these so I can walk them thru stickups and weedbeds/lily pads. On the stip the flip dives about 2 inches and when you stop the fly pops up to the surface and the feathers and flash undilates and drives bass crazy. I also think it would drive reds and specks just as coo coo...

I caught several bass and had a few hooked up that I lost but had a blast hearing em tear up the topwater's.

Couple of flies....whites are also great.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Scott, really nice looking AP divers. Can't quite see from the angles at how you tied in the marabou behind the eye. I can see that you curve the head portion of the foam different than I've been tying it.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tie the maribou all around the hook up to the point you need to tie in the head. Then make a bump on top for the head to flare or stand up better. I double my foam to make it float better.

I like the way you tie in the Stealth Bomber that Tom sends in the above link. You could use that on top of the APDiver.

<*)))))>{

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Thaks Scott, I'll have to give that a try. I have been adding a little more foam to my AP divers so they will float better also. Some of my 1st ones would barely float. I add some extra foam under the flared part of the foam head to make it stand up more also. Seems to make it dive faster, and a little deeper. That helps with shorter strips to keep it in the strike zone a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Nice bass Scott. I went to sutton lake the other night with the fly rod I got one 15" bass on a Gartside Gurgler.

I havent tried the stealth bomber for bass but I have used them for bream and they love them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
nice. i've tried using the weedless flies before and could not set the hook with my little 5wt. and tippet. should i not worry too much about tippet size for bass?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had on a 12# tippet ....:) When going in the bushes and junk with this style of fly I don't worry about tippets. I usually just tie on a 10 or 12 pound leader and call it a day. I need the poundage it the fish turns into the stickups.

The double weed guard...maybe go with a lighter line like 20 or 15 pound test. I have 25 pound test on these. I may lose an occasional fish but the strike is always the pleasure.

GOOD LUCK....:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
What flies do you guys recommend for smallmouth bass. My boss wants to catch some in Lake James, but I don't know what to offer. I used traditional topwater plugs and chuggers, but the time is now through Memorial Day and I want to help him if I can.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Question on small mouth in lakes: Not sure if I'll ever get the chance to get to a lake with amallies, but where are they located in lakes? Do you fish the shore line for them? Deep, or shallow?

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Thanks Tom. I think I have at least one already tied that is black. Not sure if it is weighted or not. One one of the sites i just saw, they weight their flies all the way down the shank of the hook to let it drift with the current in rivers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.