NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing alot of topwater bass fishing after work and have caught several nice fish. But I have lost 3-4 very nice bass in the 7-8 lb. range on the Top Pup and the Skitterwalk. Both are 3 1/2 " inch or so lures with medium size treble hooks. The fish hits it and goes under for a good pull, but when he comes up and shakes his head either the first or second time it's gone. I just can't seem to keep the treble hooks in him. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to prevent this. I am fishing out of a 12' jon boat with no real leverage also.

All of this is topwater but at the same time I have caught some 5-6 lb fish with a Rapala XR-8 stick bait which also has medium size treble hooks without any problems losing fish. It just seems to be topwater and out of the boat.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i fish all of these same lures in the salt. What type of line are you using? The only time i have had the same problem is when i first started fishing topwater baits on braided line without a mono or flouro leader, and since there is no stretch in braid to absorb the shock, it is easy to lose fish, especially bigger ones. The fish would take it under and then the bait would come flying right back at me. In bass fishing, braid is only good for heaving big fish out of heavy cover, like with topwater frog fishing. Also, are you giving the fish a second before you set the hook? Set the hook right at the blowup and you can lose him easily. Set it one second after the blowup and you got him.

Reactions: ChltBnks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ditto on everything ****** said. I would like to add that I fish barbless so when the fish jump I gently sweep my rod and reel faster to keep a bend in my rod and take up any possible slack from head shake and re-entry into the water.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
to increase my odds of a good hookup w/LMB (but there's always an element of luck involved in a hookup) i've also started replacing the trebles on my hard baits with KVD elite triple grip trebles. i find that i lose less fish on cranks & other hardbaits with these hooks. some people like the VMC SureSet trebles to increase odds of a good hookup. i don't trust the 1x VMCs, but notice they are making the SS line in heavier gauges (e.g., 4x).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I use VMC trebles, and make sure you keep pressure on the fish. And with any hook, check them and make sure they are sharp.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Losing a fish due to the fish jumping is something that'll always be an issue....like previously stated give the fish a second then swing for the fences....The one thing that'll help immensely is keeping your rod to the side after the initial hookset, instead of keeping the rod straight up...keeping it to the side will keep the fish under the water more instead of encouraging the fish to jump by pulling it to the surface....keep it to the side and ALWAYS keep constant pressure on the fish....NO SLACK....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good input, thanks to all. I did buy some VNC 4X treble hooks today.
I am using a trout setup, 8 lb braid and a 10 lb floro leader on a 6'6" med with med action.
I am not really pausing and giving any extra time, just a natural reaction to the blowup I guess.
Dropping the rod to the side is something I have tried to be conscious of and it helps.
I did buy a couple of frogs today with the bigger hooks, will see how well they work, never used one before.

As for trout or reds, I have no problem but I am standing in a boat also. On the pond it is hard to get much leverage sitting in a jon boat.

After applying some of these tips I will post the results.

Tight lines . Ahodges21

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fish must have heard about the new hooks and all this good advice. Didn't get a single blow up today on the frogs or the Top Pup. It will probably be the last chance I get for another week or so. Is the spawn over, if so does the bite pick up agressively like it did on the pre spawn?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I learned a trick accidentally. I noticed that when a fish is gaining some ground, it will stay down...when the fish can go no further, it swims to the top and jumps. I noticed that when I set my drag a little bit loose so that the fish can gain a little and keep my rod tip low, the fish will not jump as much and my landing rates increased.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Red X angler on this one, only thing I might add that has worked for me is use a 6'6" medium/heavy rod if you aren't already. personally I like to use one that flexes more toward the tip (maybe 2/3 up the blank) and keep my rod tip low and line tight, all that jumping and shaking stuff makes good television but don't cut it on the pond. when you cross the 6-7 lbs range like the ones you have been missing it's a whole new ball game, Keep their head down their mouth shut and the line moving. I bet your hooks are fine if they are sharp.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Not sure about you guys, but I like landing bass, but I also love watching them go airborne, much more exciting and fun imo.
I def love seeing them come outta the water.....just not when it's possibly your personal best and not when you've got money on the line....my biggest bass of this year gave me one of the best shows I've seen yet!

Sent from my Kayak!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes throwing the hook has nothing to do with your technique. Some days they just dont eat the bait good and will be barely hooked.
You know all of those bigger bass seem to hit it softer, without as much commotion, unlike the smaller ones that seem to want to demolish it. I've noticed it every time. They hit so soft that you don't expect to see a 7-8 lb fish. But when he realizes he's hooked then he changes his attitude.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
You know all of those bigger bass seem to hit it softer, without as much commotion, unlike the smaller ones that seem to want to demolish it. I've noticed it every time. They hit so soft that you don't expect to see a 7-8 lb fish. But when he realizes he's hooked then he changes his attitude.
The big fish hit it softer sometimes in my opinion due to their larger mouths....they can literally vacuum a bait into their mouths as opposed to a smaller fish having to actually attack/grab the bait......

Sent from my Kayak!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.