NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

Went fishin on norman again today for about four hours. went to mountain creek to see if there was anything going on. Caught two small largmouth on the jig but couldn't get anything else interested. I think I,ll go to Mountain Island or Hickory next. Anyplace is better than the "dead sea" I don't know how these guys catch 18 lbs. in some of these tournaments . I guess you gotta live here all your life and really know this lake well.

See Ya!
shaw5001

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Might want to hit some of the head waters and see if they have warmed up some, next check out the major creek mouths, look at the sides and see where the fingers or points willl be and cast the jig there and walk it down the rock walls. This is usually a good pattern.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shaw i'm sorry to hear that. I fish Norman just about every day and the fishing has been slow up until about last week. I don't use jigs for the bass on norman i use shad-rap #5's in perch and silver. My dad and i went out yesterday and got 5 bass all over 2 pounds with the biggest being just over 4 pounds. All were caught on shad raps except for the 4 pounder which i got on a rat-L-trap. Personally i'd head to the points around davidson and work creek and try with shad-raps. Good luck man.

-Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks IKnfisher for the heads up on shad raps on norman. I never have been much of a crank bait man cause I just got old and set in my ways. I have been throwing a few crankbaits lately though. I'll make it a point to fish davidson this week if I can get out.

See Ya

shaw5001

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Sounds like you are giving up before the season gets started off good.

give it a little time, and you'll learn some good spot and techniques that will put the meat in the boat.
tight liens <*)))))>{

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey Scott,

I'm not giving up because I do catch quite a few in the spring time.
I am a little disappointed in this lake though. You know when they
have to stock bait in the lake because it won't support a decent
amount of bait, that the lake isn't that good. A big bass on this lake
is about 4lbs. All the stripers are skinny. That's not a good sign of
a good fishery. Maybe it will get better. Hope so!

See Ya!

shaw5001

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The good news is Norman IS alot better. It wasn`t nicknamed the dead sea in the old days for nothing. If they didnt stock the stripes it might be better for the LMBs and might not "need" to stock bait.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nitro here, hang in there i lived and fished there everyday last year and it took some time,but i did start to catch.It is a dead lake for somebody that wants to catch instead of running a gunning,try docks reel tite to shore with deeper water close by.. By the way i now live on High Rock.

Nitro

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Nitro,

I appreciate the info on the docks. I have already discovered they are the dominate cover on this lake. It really takes a long time to eliminate the non productive ones. Now that spring is here, the fish will be everywhere. At least they were last year! If I can consistantly find them post spawn and during the fall, I'll consider that an acheivment! I think maybe I'm fishing to much of the lake because I go to different parts all the time thinking they will be biting better somewhere else. I'm gonna try a stratagy of fishing one third of the lake this year and see if I can get to know that one area very well. Next year, I''ll pick another to learn . Since I,m old and ugly, lets hope the good lord lets me live long enough to learn a few good spots.

See Ya!

shaw5001

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.