NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can`t believe nobody is talking bout the classic. Brutal run up and down the lake weather today. Should get better thru the tourney. Those guys will still catch em though. Probably deep for the winner but who knows. One N.C. boy(Coble) and 2 S.C. boys. (Auten & Ashley) Ashley is the youngest in the field (24) and has the most experience on Hartwell. Which means he will not win. Auten is from Lake Wylie. I always pull for Swindle cause he`s such a goofball. Got a lifesize cut-out of Swindle at home that I bugged a hindu guy at a gas station incessantly until he gave it to me. Like Horton as well. I have paddled a yak beside alot of those guys. Takahiro, Swindle, Van Dam, Brauer, Quinn, Reese. Should be going down but I`ll catch this one on the tube. Like 11 hours on this weekend then the edited show next weekend. My wife loves classic weekend.:rolleyes: Bet It`ll take 20 lb bags to win it. Anybody has thoughts, lay em out.--------------------stu

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Never really kept up with it, but you make it sound interesting!!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Admittedly, fishing shows weren`t much in the old days. Those days are long gone . when espn bought bass things changed alot. It`s big time , big money. Cool mil to the man if I`m not mistaken. Not counting endorsements and the 60k boat package. Pro fishing has undergone a change very similar to nascar , with the times and young guns. If that helps you get what I`m saying.?They put gps trackers in a few fish sometimes and follow them thru the tourney. Gps tracks on the guys. They cover the whole country every year. Sightfishing, flippin mats, lot of different techniques depending on where and when. Excellent coverage and editing. It`s not just country music and skoal anymore. Those guys go 10 months out of the year and pay 55 grand just in entry fees. You can definitely learn something every week. If you never watched before check out the super bowl of bass fishing . You might be pleasantly surprised.---------stu

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'd thought about trying to follow it somehow... But I still haven't swallowed the "gotta pay for TV" pill... and my little rabbit-ears still won't find ESPN or Versus....

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Forgot about it, where they fishing?? Who;s in the lead on the first day?

Updates??

I like Swindel to, and some of the young guns that are coming up. Still hard not to like VanDam, Horton and some of the older guys.

tight lines <*)))))>{

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Looks like they're weighing in right now. KVD dropped from 2nd to 3rd between the time I loaded the home page to the time I linked over to the real-time leaderboard.

ESPN - Bassmaster Index

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was planning on going to Greenville (SC) to watch the weigh- in Saturday but the wife is sick. With BASS holding the Classic so early in the year this will be as far north as they can hold it. I understand why they hold it so early, big bags make great tv but I still like the late summer Classics. I think you really have to on your game when fishing that time of year. Not saying that anybody can catch fish this time of year in the south but it is easier. Good news is my fantasy team has 4 out of the top 18 so far with two in the top five.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
(Whoops - Sorry Stu.. Looks like two of us tried to your double post from opposite ends. I think its gone.:eek:)

The TV show last night was great. I had no intention of staying up till midnight to watch, but I couldn't turn away. Got the DVR programmed for the finale tonight 10-12 on ESPN2. I did cheat & check out the website. Enjoyed watching the blog reports through the day. Sorry for Charlie - he was a great underdog to root for. Anybody that can get into top-level pro bass fishing out of Central OH has beat some long odds.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I stayed up til 12:30 watching them all. Not the most exciting tourney but good . Lot of good technique info. I do not see how they creep a jig around all day. I should make myself use a jig and a shallow crank. Ole Charley should have given up on the docks and gone deep. Wish I could get into some spots like Ike was catching. Glad to see there was some topwater action, that`s what I like.
I`ve met/ paddled around watching Alton Jones fish at the dam at the top of wylie. He was a nice guy. There was a boat with 2 guys in the middle and he wanted to go up and fish . He was nice enough to ask them " hey you guys mind if I come thru up there. I don`t think they knew or cared the mans fishing for 100 grand. He asked them couple times as he was coming up behind them. Problem was from being out there for a while I already knew what Alton didn`t. BOTH the guys in the boat were DEAF.I paddled over and told him. Couple hand signs later they motioned him on through.
Think it will be a while before they are on wylie again. Looking faorward to the rest of the season.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
...from being out there for a while I already knew what Alton didn`t. BOTH the guys in the boat were DEAF.I paddled over and told him. Couple hand signs later they motioned him on through.
<chuckle> That's a great story right there... with a lot of folks these days, you might have just defused a whale of a messy situation...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't keep up with all those fishing shows and tournements. If I did, I'd then know how bad a fisherman I am, how inexperienced I am, how cheap my equipment is and how many fish I'm runnin off! If I knew all that, I'd get depressed, sell off all my stuff and take up golf.:eek: Besides, I have to tell myself all of the above cuz I don't get cable!:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just watched the 3rd day (recorded). Sorry Ol' Charlie didnt take the hint and go deep... Jones worked hard for his day. Good show! I like to DVR stuff so I can fast forward through commercials etc..
I think I've always had a hard time with artificials because of the work involved, but as I learn more I see myself more willing to do it..
I've always just been content in finding the fish!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Football jigs. HMMM. I think I need some of those. A combination of the two things I love. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really like the jig Swindle was using, the Arkie-head jig. If you go to the Arkie website they have a really nice selection of lures. I think the bait monkey is starting to call on me to buy some new lures for the season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.