NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really liking the Bath fishing trip. According to Google Maps, it is only a shade over 2 hours for me from N Raleigh. Much closer than the Fort or Queens Creek. And easy in/ easy out at Quartermaster Marina on 92.

Was on the water about 7:30 and found my first fish pretty quick- drum under the bridge. Would be the last for a while. Headed down Back creek out toward Bath Creek and stayed on the left side, as I did last time. Worked the docks and channel all the way out to the river, with a little luck here and there. In Slade gut, something grabbed and stripped some good drag but didn't hookup- felt big anyways. Wind was picking up most of the morning and by the time I got to the river, it was kicking pretty decent. Worked my way back up the other side, finding a few flounder.

Wind changed and was pushing me back to the maina, so I just rode it. Stopped back at Slade gut to see if I could find what bedeviled me earlier. Found a school of stipers! Caught 4 in 6 casts before they disappeared. Continued working back toward the loading point, but had to check out the bridge again, and found a fifth striper.

Good day all in all: 1 red rum 17 inches; 5 stripers 14-17 inches; 4 flounder 12-14 inches; 4 specs 10-12 inches. No keepers, but I will defintely take it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Great job, Skooter... Glad you found 'em!

Reactions: skooteri

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it a lot! When are you going back?
Possibly next weekend. Will have to play it well tho, as wife's bday and Halloween are right in there too. But I know I won't be able to go the the 2 weekends after that, so I may just have to force it in--"C'mon Sweetie! Its the last time I can fish before it gets cold!"

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
excellent trip if i do say so myself congrats on the fish even if there was no keeper size ya still caught alot of good fish

Reactions: skooteri

·
Registered
157 Posts
ok..skooteri, you are making me think I suck at fishing... I was there from 11:00 to 3:00, only a couple underslot flounders on gulp shrimp...
btw, was that you on a yellow kayak at around 2:00 pm?
(I was on an orange wilderness pamilco 150)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok..skooteri, you are making me think I suck at fishing... I was there from 11:00 to 3:00, only a couple underslot flounders on gulp shrimp...
btw, was that you on a yellow kayak at around 2:00 pm?
(I was on an orange wilderness pamilco 150)
Yeah, that was me. You don't suck. When I go fishing down there, I fish hard. On the water at 7:30, out well after you. Getting out and back is more than 5 hours for me, driving, loading etc., so I get in all I can. I keep 3 rods rigged and working (except yesterday- broke one early). Even when I am paddling, I frequntly troll. Caught 3 yesterday doing that- 2 flounder and one trout.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great catch! I hit the haystacks this afternoon but got rocked by a quick moving wind/storm that came on outta nowhere... no fish, very wet... but fun none the less...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, that was me. You don't suck. When I go fishing down there, I fish hard. On the water at 7:30, out well after you. Getting out and back is more than 5 hours for me, driving, loading etc., so I get in all I can. I keep 3 rods rigged and working (except yesterday- broke one early). Even when I am paddling, I frequntly troll. Caught 3 yesterday doing that- 2 flounder and one trout.
Yea.. I saw you trolling toward the mouth on that little creek when I was on my way back to the marina.. do you normally use pogy on the trolling rod to give that action? :confused:

After I left Bath Creek, there was still time for me to try Dinah's Landing (coz i figure that day might be the last day of my fishing season of this year, it's getting colder and colder). Couldn't catch anything there other than seeing some little fish jump out of surface.. dunno what they are though.:cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great report skooteri. They've been doing pretty good at the Bath creek bridge lately. I crossed the bridge one day last week and looked over to the lot by Black Beards. I saw a guy holding up a trout that was well over 2ft long. The locals fish off that bridge day and night any weather when the fish are in. I've got a guy coming Friday to buy a yak just to fish that bridge:D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great report skooteri. They've been doing pretty good at the Bath creek bridge lately. I crossed the bridge one day last week and looked over to the lot by Black Beards. I saw a guy holding up a trout that was well over 2ft long. The locals fish off that bridge day and night any weather when the fish are in. I've got a guy coming Friday to buy a yak just to fish that bridge:D
So that is where the big trout are hiding. Will have to paddle over that way next time I am there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just talked to the owner of the lot beside the bridge. I know there is a no tresspassing sign in front of that ramp at Bath Creek. He doesn't mind if kayakers use it though. He owns the quater deck ramp on Back Creek too. He dosen't charge kayakers there either. Any problems tell them Mike at River Time sent you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.