NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need to buy a battery charger for my trolling motor battery. I've looked at a cheap one at Harbor Freight, but didn't like some of the online reviews. Like any fisherman, I'd like to spend as little as necessary on something reliable and save my dollars for fishing gear. So, what would you recommend I get and from where? I live in the Greenville, NC area if that matters. Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I catch the coupon and buy this one for $29 or less, keep it out of the rain and use it all the time on my boat, cars, mowers.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10250-...zIjoiMjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiOTc0MSJ9

Now if you mean an onboard charger to mount on the boat go ahead a buy something better quality. I got a deal on Ebay on a shelf display minn kota dual bank under $100.

** a lot of people mistake a battery maintainer , for a charger. Then complain when it doesn't fully charge a low battery. Stay away from those little 1-2amp maintainers, they are fine for storage of a charged battery but not to charge a low one.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
[h=1]http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50-amp-automatic-battery-charger/p-02871222000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

DieHard Automatic Battery Charger 10/2/50 amp.[/h]
50% Off, now $35.00

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have a basic Minn Kota Automatic battery charger (automatic is important, won't overcharge and burn up your battery) that I bought at Wal-mart probably 15 years ago for maybe $40. I still use that to charge my jonboat troller batts. The one linked by AHODGES21 sounds like a good deal.

Onboard chargers get a little more pricey, and if that's what you need they are worth the investment, but a basic battery charger mainly needs to be automatic so it won't overcharge and shouldn't run you a ton of money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On-board chargers are where it's at. A good one won't be cheap, but it will pay for itself by increasing the life of your batteries. Trolling motor batteries aren't cheap.

I have a 24v trolling motor, so I got a 3-bank Minn Kota on-board charger. It charges both my trolling motor batteries and my starting/house battery and all I ever have to do is open the plug cover on the side of my console and plug in a drop cord. I didn't feel much like fishing right after I lost my dad, so I left it plugged in for about a year and when I came back all the batteries were fine.

Reactions: pamlicoknk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Back when I was researching on-board chargers, I found a lot of issues being reported with the ProMariner chargers. The Bass Pro chargers are just re-branded ProMariners. They may have worked out the kinks, but I'd do some research.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Back when I was researching on-board chargers, I found a lot of issues being reported with the ProMariner chargers. The Bass Pro chargers are just re-branded ProMariners. They may have worked out the kinks, but I'd do some research.
I am on my second BPS 3-bank charger. Got about 4 years out of the first one and it dropped one bank (still charged the other 2). The second one is on its second year and has been trouble free. Regardless of the brand, I would never go back from onboard charging. Its just too convenient to plug in your boat and know the batteries are good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.