NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had my kayak for about a month. I run a Raymarine Dragonfly 7. I know it's kinda large. But I can see the split screen great.

I am finding I get about 7 hours out of my 6lb 120cca 50min @ 10amp atv battery. So, if I forget to take the battery out and stick it on the charger when I get home from a half day of fishing the next day the system will die in a couple hours.

I could upgrade to a bigger battery. Maybe a 12lb 200cca 90min @ 10amp battery. It would up the amp hours from 50 to 90 min. But that doubles the weight to 12 lbs. So, maybe I could get two trips out of the bigger one.

Then there is the charging time. I have a 1.5a charger that came with a portable hummingbird ff I have. I ran the battery down yesterday. Rrrrrr. It takes close to 7 hours to turn the green light on. I looked at some of the smart chargers out there and found they run at 800ma and 1a. So great for maintenance but would take even longer to recharge.

No accessories.... yet. I am looking at a portable VHF radio. Keep that on all day and you will need to recharge it nightly. So, I would like to be able to power it or charge it from the boat battery. I believe I will need to upgrade my battery.

I am also thinking about things like the Bay River meet. I will fish 3 days. I need at least 7 hours a night to recharge just the battery. Then a VHF radio, Cell Phone, Wifes cell Phone.

What is your setup? Battery? Charging? Usage time? Accessories? Thoughts??

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think your problem is your battery choice. An ATV starting battery is made to provide a lot of starting power over a short period. You need a deep cycling battery that provides less power over a longer period like those used in Kids electric cars, trail cameras, emergency lighting etc.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, when I bought it I did not see a small deep cycle battery. Or were they really expensive. Hmmm, can't remember. Will have to look again.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more digging on small form factor deep cycle batteries. They just don't seem to sell them at the places I went to. BP, NH, .... They ll did have the car sized ones though.

I found BatteriesPlus has them. It's double the weight of my other one. And it's larger of course. But it will fit in my battery tray. I am giving it a good charge and will see how it does.

mikeski

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.