NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 725 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bayrivercampground.com/
:D Should be a great weekend for fishing!! Old Drum and all the inshore favorites!! Maybe even a stray Tarpon still hanging around. If you haven't been to Bay River you are in for a real treat. It's one of our not so best kept secrets now!!!

Saturday will be the "official" Meet and we usually grill and everyone chips in with some goodies. I always say keep it simple as we want to spend as much time on the water as we can so the evening is when we eat as a group. I know some of us plan to nightfish for old drum and "we" will just have to manage our time as we can so as not to effect the core groups planning.

Ok volunteers, step forward. The usual for outdoors is needed. sausages, hotdogs, burgers are always a good plan. Side dishes, chips, deserts, drinks, ice chairs, tables etc.

If someone would like to keep up with all this speak up or I will do my best to start a list and keep it updated here on this post.

*** YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A RED X ANGLER OR MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE TO ATTEND!!""" but we hope you will be before you leave :)

#ITEM LIST IS being kept by Papadave on posting #9. See that post for the list.....

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
sundrop, I will take the plastic forks, spoons, and knives, and some chips. If you think I need to take anything else, let me know.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Reservations made! We'll be down on the 15th. I let Chris know that the crew will be in on the weekend of the 17th.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Is there a discount rate for the campground, or should we say we'll be with the Red-X guys?

Just tent camping, and bringing a kayak for my son....

Anyone know if the crabbing is still OK at that time of year? My youngest (9) wants to come and crab with us.

Just waiting to get permission from my wife to go and take the boys... We'll need to decide what to do about missing a football game for my youngest.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sundrop, put me down for Hot Dog weiners and chili, once we get a headcount I will buy accordingly. We prefer the Carolina Packers "Bright Leaf" brand, if there any requests for beef dogs just let me know.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I will be traveling on Friday after getting off Friday morning. I will pack the truck the day before I leave so I will need to stop at a grocery before i get there. Is there ice available at the campground? I can bring sodas , or whatever can be picked up on the way in.

Is anyone up for staying till Monday?

Does anyone between Hickory and Bay River want to share a ride, or split a campsite?

I have some more questions about lures, size limits, and bait but I will try to get them striaght before I post.

Looking forward to this.

Darrell

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Darrell, we'll be down 'till at least Monday and might stay longer depending on how much fun the wife and toddler are having. I have to make 2 trips back to Y'ville to get the boat & the camper home, so may be bugging out around noon Monday, but still leaves plenty of time for a morning's fishing.

Good baits to have in your box;
MirrOlure 14mr in these colors(and maybe more)
17mr.png
The 14s are lightweight and work better with light to UL tackle
17mrs in the same colors are really good also
MirrOlure 51mr & 52m in these colors(and maybe more)
52EC.png 5219.png
52PMS.png 52808.png

Zoom Super Flukes in albino, baby bass & one of the clear glitter colors
Gulp 3" shrimp in natural, white and new penny
Gulp pogy in white
All of these I fish on an 1/8 oz jig, preferably Blue Water Candy brand

D.O.A. 3" shrimp . I like the clear/fire tail, red/white tail, new penny and clear red glitter
Fish these under popping corks, even trolled behind your yak or jon. The Gulp shrimp & pogies work well under the corks too.

Those are just a few options, I'm sure you'll get a lot more suggestions.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Saturday & Sunday cookout lists

Check this post for the most current list - http://www.ncangler.com/forums/thre...et-n-greet-sept-17th-2011?p=291122#post291122
So far we have;
Saturday grillin'
BBQ sauce - saltwaterpete
burgers - dragula65000
burger buns - dragula65000
chili - FATBOUY, OleRebel
chips - RouseD, dragula65000
desert - TFF, Echerd
dogs/sausages - FATBOUY, TFF, dragula65000, saltwaterpete
dog buns - TFF
dutch oven sausage & peppers - biglenr
forks/ spoons/ plates - RouseD
Ketchup, Mustard, Relish - SharkHunter
paper towels/napkins - pappadave
sodas, ice - dbeam, georgep, papadave
sauerkraut - OleRebel
tea - TFF, dragula65000

Sunday fish fry
breader - papadave
fish - everyone
peanut oil - papadave

Reactions: RouseD and sundrop

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
We can always have an elephant stew.
Well I was thinking of bringing the gator pot and having a fry. Optimistic I know, but I figger with all the talent at this party we're bound to have enough fish to fry. And in answer to biglenr's question, there should be plenty of crab to boil at that time of year.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Well I was thinking of bringing the gator pot and having a fry. Optimistic I know, but I figger with all the talent at this party we're bound to have enough fish to fry. And in answer to biglenr's question, there should be plenty of crab to boil at that time of year.
With or without talent and luck there should be a fish market in Oriental

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Are the mirrolure 17's and 51's suspending jerk baits. What about using freshwater suspending jerk baits with beefed up hooks?

the 52's appear be high vibration crank baits similar to rattletraps and such. I am going to get a couple of them but I don't want to end up with a box of stuff I won't get a chance to use.

I read on someones post awhile back that they were throwing top water plugs for reds, would this be "walking the dog" type baits like spooks and badonkadonks? sizes and colors?

I found popping corks on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Popping-Cork...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c685dc8 would these be OK?

Gulp Shrimp 3inch colors, Im trying to narrow down to a couple of colors. (thinking natural and new penny for the shrimp and white for the pogies)

What about Blurp or DOA?

Do you rig the Flukes with a circle hook thru the nose?

Has anyone ever thrown inline spinners? I used to get some trout on mepps spinners off of the Iron Steamer.

Getting up a list for a run to BPS in a month or so. Any other suggestions?

Should I bring the cast net, I have a bait bucket the can be towed behind the kayak.
What about an anchor?

Is there any point in bringing a couple of bottom rigs to fish off of the pier after dark?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The mirrolure 17's, 51's & 52s are suspending jerk baits, and I don't know of any freshwater baits like 'em .... I have caught a few trout on suspending shadraps. Traps will catch trout too, seen that done. One thing to note though, I've tossed 52s at Buggs and Hyco and caught bass, haven't tried the 17s but they should work in fresh as well.

I like the poppin corks with a wire better, just my preference, seem to get a better "click" out of 'em. I really think the click attracts fish more so than the gurgle or pop.
pogeaux-pop-2s.jpg
You can buy the DOA shrimp prerigged with the cork.

The flukes & the Gulps work really well on an 1/8 oz wide gap long shank jighead, even under the cork.

You may be burnin daylight Friday on the way down, but Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston would be well worth a stop, it's on the way and a good place to stretch your legs if nothing else. Bass Pro might have some of the stuff you're looking for but NSS WILL have it, all in one small section, and the staff will help you find what you need, they're very helpful and most of the time knowledgeable.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Darrell if they were topwater more than likely they were walking the dog. 4" badonkadonks work great. Ive caught some small reds on a betts spin so your mepps spin would work. I always carry a couple of bottom rigs with me to put chunk mullet on when the fishing gets slow on artificials and I need a break from casting. I think you should bring your cast net, a live fingermullet on a carolina rig can be deadly on the reds. Brad

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'll be bringin my wife and 2 kids. Gonna bring a tent as well. I'll br bringing a bunch of hotdogs, maybe some burgers, buns with them, chips, sweet tea from bojangles, I don't know really. A bunch of stuff. My even con my wife into makin some lumpia. Its filipino and fantastic. Trust me. You can't eat only one. I think we should start the grillin around 3ish, which would allow some time for the old drum guys to go out after them in the evening.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Topwater is primarily a first light, last light, method. A Badonkadonk is what Breadman swears by and can be used in freshwater too so not a waste of money for those who dont fish salt much. Shad/Mullet coloring is good , something like that with a little orange or red on the bottom is good too.
Popping bobbers- I buy them at Walmart with the wire and beads in them and they work fine. Billy Bay makes some good ones and BPS will have those. I like GULP or Blurp or a soft plastic shrimp with some Pro cure scent on it under those as well as on jigs. Jigs of 1/8-1/4 oz in chartruese, pink, white, black are good. If you have any gold bladed spinnerbaits or spoons they are great too but a nice red will bend a standard spinnerbait into a pretzel so be prepared. Mirrolures work for some and not for others. A suspending mirromullet or shad pattern once again can be used in fresh water as well so not a waste of money.
Carolina rig will handle any live bait fishing you want to do and a 2 hook rig is fine for croakers and spot as well. cast net is always handy as big schools of menhaden are usually around that time of year and possibly some finger mullet or small pinfish which are awesome baits..

** as far as a fish cooker, that's pretty time consuming, cleaning cooking and cleaning up after. If enough of you want too thats fine but Im not planning to be off the water that much so dogs n chips and such are fine with me. A fish fry Sunday night might be nice if enough plan to stay..
Plenty of crabs to catch and Frank even keeps a crabpot on the pier for us to use also.

Reactions: dbeam and papadave

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the midafternoon (3pm) grilling idea. Hot part of the day to relax and eat then back on the water for the evening bite!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I primarily fish this area from fall through the winter. I have had great luck with a popping cork, with a clear/red speck DOA shrimp under it. Also, I have downsized to the MR 14 Mirro Lures mostly. I have caught my largest spekled trout on that (5 + lbs). My favorite colors in the Mirro Lures are the 808, and electric chicken colors, and the one with the red head, and white body. The MR 17s are really good lures, but I can pack a lot more of the MR 14s in my tackle bag. tarheel fly flinger has had really good luck on the MR14 with the blue back. I am not much of a summer time trout fisherman, so some of the colors mentioned may not do as well as in the fal and winter months. Pick up some clip on corks. Trolling plastics aboput 5 foot under one of these is a good method to find fish.

1 - 20 of 725 Posts