NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several Stocker Trout over the week, my son managed the biggest ~14" or so.

I blanked on Wednesday, something I really don't enjoy....but I relearned cold fronts push everything deeper.

So Thursday I fished for a couple of hours late in the day and managed the largest Bluegill I have caught in the past several years. The planks on the dock are ~6" wide, so it is a very respectable 'gill. It was caught in 22' of water, just off the bottom.

Fishscalz

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you see a lot of boat activity on the lake? Do you know if there are size limits on boats and motors? This lake isn't to far from me and I was reading about it sounds like the smallmouth should be good in that lake. Maybe I am just hopeful lol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with several people fishing.
The lake has Smallmouth, they are generally deeper and caught on Carolina rigged plastics and drop shot rigs.
There did not seem to be horsepower restrictions for boats. Traffic was moderate when I was there. Looks like a good lake to check for Smallmouth.

Good luck,

Fishscalz

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
If you are speaking about the Bear Lake that is past Western Carolina, then you have found a great place to fish! At least, it was a few years ago when I lived in Waynesville.

I have been up there many times and at the time, ran my bass boat with a 225hp with no restrictions. I know they have added some development up there now but I hope it hasn't changed the boating.

As for the fishing, here are some past pics...

Water Plant Vertebrate Watercraft Boat
Water Smile Tree Lake Fisherman
Water Sky Sunglasses Tree Fisherman
Water Boat Vertebrate Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Clothing Water Jeans Tree Lake

I have gone several times solo but took my pastor and son a few times as well. Yes, that is a nice brown that my pastor is holding. I found that 14 to 18 inch rainbows and browns were always very eager to hit red and white rooster tail spinners at the headwaters where the main river feeds Bear Lake.

My best out of Bear is this 7 pounder...

Water Smile Vertebrate Fisherman Watercourse

Of course, if you are talking about another Bear Creek Lake, then...nevermind! Hahaha!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Thanks! I did catch one small one...on a drop shot in about 25 feet of water. I think it should hold them, though. I was really surprised to have caught as many largemouth bass as I have from there...as well as the quality.

The trout are pretty fun, too, and they seem to be pretty consistent...fishing the spinner with a slow retrieve at the mouth of the river feeding the lake as well as up into the lake. I was able to get my bass boat all the way up to where you can see the Wolf Lake dam using the trolling motor...and caught fish all along the way.

A kayak or canoe would work even nicer, I think. It would just be a pretty long trip to get there in those...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info on the boats and fishing. Those are some nice ones in those picks. What is the shoreline like there I know some development was mentioned but looking in those pics it looks like some rocky banks and some down timber. Is it like that on most of the lake?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Unless it has expanded, the development was primarily on the shoreline across from the boat ramp. The last time I was there, there were quite a few docks installed and they were building a large clubhouse on a rise overlooking the lake. It was all on the main part of the lake and the farther up the lake you went, you lost sight of it. That's where the best fishing is, anyway.

One thing to check out though, is the 200 foot tall waterfall emptying into the lake! It's awesome! Going up the lake, it is in one of the cuts on the left. I cant remember exactly which one, but you will know if you find it. You do have to go into the cuts to find it, though, not easy to see from the main water.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Much of the main lake is steep, deep, and clear. Some of the lay downs are probably over 50+ of water. IMO, the feeder creeks and main tributary areas are much less steep and easier to find fish. I also think the water color is a bit better, and the temperature a touch cooler as well in the Summer. Watch out for floating logs and trees, we saw several while on the water.

The waterfall is beautiful. We took several pictures, but our camera froze and we lost the first few dozen pics we took, among those were the falls, unfortunately.

Fishscalz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, hopefully I will be on the water there in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it if I catch anything or not there is nothing like being out on the water and having that peace of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.