NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the day off on Monday 11/5 and at 0'dark-thirty headed to Swansboro/Bear Island area with a paddling buddy for a day trip and some fishing in the marshes. Launched at Shell Rock to some not-too-crowded water. Light winds and favorable tide flows made an easy trip to the island and back. Water was very clear and much colder than just a few weeks ago when I was in this same area. Did not see too many bait fish in the tidal creeks and marshes on the way over, but there was more bait immediately behind the island. I caught three flounder...one was an 18" keeper (dinner Tuesday night) and the other two were only 12-13" throw backs. Also caught two lizard fish and had lots of strong taps. We also walked to the ocean side of the island and saw two separate feeding frenzies just off shore with birds diving in from all directions. For a split second I had the foolish idea that maybe I could launch the yak in the surf and get in on the action, but then I regained my senses and accepted the fact that I was stuck being a spectator on that one.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
yeah, that would have been a pretty strong temptation. Glad ya found a keeper down there! That spot has always intrigued me...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had a wetsuit that day I would have given it serious consideration. That water was cold though, and I probably would not have made it through the first set of breakers without a dunking!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The piece of gear that would have most held me back is the VHF handheld... I've been telling myself I should get one of those before I head outside the barrier islands.

Of course, my wife has told me I'll need more than a radio before I go out into the ocean... ;)

(She almost drowned in college, and still has more than her share of trepidation when it comes to water sports...)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lefty ... the Uniden Atlantis 250 and a dry bag work well. I have that radio and use it on my prowler and on my Jones Brothers. I even take it out on Jordan ... don't know who I'm gonna' talk to but I like having the radio with me. At the coast, I don't even go inshore without it. At $99.00 its a good deal.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ya, the Atlantis 250 is a highly respected radio. I was considering a smaller-sized radio I could keep on the shoulder of my PFD -- one less thing to have to grab if things go wrong...

I really like what I see from the West Marine VHF250 (manufactured by Standard Horizon, if I understand correctly -- Yaesu for ham-radio types). It does Marine VHF and FRS both, for the times you're paddling (or hiking) with a different bunch. And it's JIS-7 submersible, so you don't need the bag. If you paid $30 for your bag, that makes the price difference only $40 for the smaller size and the FRS band...

Get thee behind me, Tackle Monkey! (Make room for Santa!)

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.