NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to plan a fall trip with my 12 yr old. We love to surf fish together. Have camped Portsmouth and Davis Island together numerous times. We have family that have a place at Emerald Isle and have always passed hammock beach state park but have never been. Thinking of trying it out this fall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have access to a Jon boat with outboard to take over with supplies or kayaks. Just don't know the best way to approach a one or two night trip. Thanks for any info.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
If you want to surf fish get site 6 or 7. If you time the tides right you can get up the saltcreek into the lagoon with your Jon (you must do this at the top half of the tides) and be 40 yards from your campsite and another 40 to the surf. Any other site is a long way to pack gear. You have to reserve the site and check in at the park as well as check out when you come off. There is a bath house out there about 300 yards down the beach. I'll be out there 5 days in early October.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply. Just the info that I was looking for. So they allow you to take your own boat over with most of you camping gear for a couple of days? We might see you around that same time. Would be fun. I might also message you as I get closer if I have any other planning questions. Tim

·
Registered
502 Posts
Tim, send me a pm, have done the trip a couple of times. We've stayed at the campsites off the beach because they offer more shelter in the event of wind/rain. However, sleeping right on the beach is appealing.

Make sure you make your reservations on plenty of time, and check in at the visitors center before heading over to the island.

It's a great trip.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply. Just the info that I was looking for. So they allow you to take your own boat over with most of you camping gear for a couple of days? We might see you around that same time. Would be fun. I might also message you as I get closer if I have any other planning questions. Tim
Yes you can take your own boat. If you Google Earth it you will see the creek/lagoon I was discussing. Land and access camp on the left bank of the lagoon. There are other good campsites with good cover (buggier too though) before you turn into the creek as well as along it. EXCELLENT fishing back there for reds and flounder (its one of Octobers premier flounder locales as they feed their way out towards the inlets and ocean). But if you want to surf fish as well you'd have to take the boat to get there. Site 6 (pictured earlier) is in a low swale with a dune between you and the beach. Helps with the wind. Plus its a short walk to the bath house. You still MUST have small sandbags or gallon jugs buried to tie down your tent. I'll be arriving October 3 and leaving on the 7th. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts