NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a day trip with the dog as I needed some salt in my blood. Launched from Shell rock landing and paddled to bear island to surf fish for the day. I did manage to spook some fish on a mud flat on the way there. Not sure what they were but appeared to be puppy drum.
Fished the surf for 3-4 hours with out a hit. I was in knee deep water casting and observed 2-3 dolphin start thrashing around in a small circle about 100 yards away. Birds were also dive bombing the same area for a short bit. Not sure if they were playing or eating, probably eating what i was fishin for. Only 2 other boats in the surf on the s. side of bear inlet. I'd guess they were doing good since they were in the same spot for a while.
On the way back decided to fish a little bit, not expecting anything. Saw a nice calm pocket with mud that looked fishy. made several cast to it, nothin, decided to take a closer look. Well sure enough, I had 4 puppy drum swim slowly by the yak, about 3' away. :eek: Guess I should have cast there a bit longer.

Fun time and I like the area. Anyone else ever fish there? say in the summer when i'm sure its better.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've never fished there, but I've visited with the family a couple times (via their ferry). I've actually got an itch to paddle/fish/camp out there sometime... My biggest concern had been lugging fresh water all day, but they've got running water available on the island, except when it's winterized. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
the marshes behind bear island are one of my favorite spots to kayak fish for drum. thanks for the report. would love to make a camping trip to bear island soon. any idea when the state park open it up -- or is it already?

thanks -- joel

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
the marshes behind bear island are one of my favorite spots to kayak fish for drum. thanks for the report. would love to make a camping trip to bear island soon. any idea when the state park open it up -- or is it already?

thanks -- joel
The park is open year round & camping is allowed year round except on Dec. 24th and 25th. The facilities on the island are winterized (closed) from mid-November to mid-March. The ferry service resumes in April on the week-ends.

Here's a link to the official web site for more info.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm plan to camp there sometime this spring, probably april or may.
To me it didn't seem like that far of a paddle to the island. I wonder if a person could camp on the back side of the island or if camping is allowed only in designed places. If only in designated areas, then that would be a lot of work hauling all the stuff. From where I beached on the back side is a good 10 minute walk to the front side where I saw a camping spot.
I can see why its one of your favorite places to fish. I've been there twice now and both times in february. I need to go there in the spring/summer.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
My expectation had been to pack up backpacking-style -- hadn't figured out how to stow the gear on the yak yet, though... But since I heard that I wouldn't need to pack large quantities of water, I was hopeful that I could somehow make it from the landing to the campsite in one trip.

Of course, if it takes more than one trip, that shouldn't be a problem... won't be in much of a hurry... it's camping, not working!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Man, this thread's bringing back all the familiar faces!
Glad you're still well, Joe!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lefty,

Is this a place that's close enough for a Friday/Saturday trip?

Kelley

My expectation had been to pack up backpacking-style -- hadn't figured out how to stow the gear on the yak yet, though... But since I heard that I wouldn't need to pack large quantities of water, I was hopeful that I could somehow make it from the landing to the campsite in one trip.

Of course, if it takes more than one trip, that shouldn't be a problem... won't be in much of a hurry... it's camping, not working!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i can make it to swansboro (via i-40 to hwy24/magnolia exit) in just under 3hrs from hillsborough. not sure sure where you are, but it costs me 45min to an hr --depending on traffic -- to get just east of raleigh. so if you're in raleigh or east, it's not a bad drive at all. if you go hwy24, just be very careful to observe those 35 & 45mph sections in & around beaulaville (sp?!), richlands, jacksonville!

// joel

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Joel.

Lefty and I both live in Cary.

Kelley

i can make it to swansboro (via i-40 to hwy24/magnolia exit) in just under 3hrs from hillsborough. not sure sure where you are, but it costs me 45min to an hr --depending on traffic -- to get just east of raleigh. so if you're in raleigh or east, it's not a bad drive at all. if you go hwy24, just be very careful to observe those 35 & 45mph sections in & around beaulaville (sp?!), richlands, jacksonville!

// joel

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the camping is in designated spots along the island. I am not sure but I think there are 24 camp sites and you have to get it the day you go. You can not call ahead and have them hold one for you. I called about two years ago for some information. I have paddled back in there and did not have the greatest luck fishing but I did hook up. I looks like a great spot to fish. This season here in Wilmington I have had the same problem cast to fishy spots for a while then paddle over a check them out and there go the drum. Hope you guys figure this place out and have a good time fishing it. It is almost to perfect a set up.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
It's doable in a day trip... one of the things that would make this trip unique, though, is camping on the island...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good to me. May huh. I'll plan on it.
A day trip is absolutely doable, long day but worth it.

I'll figure out about the camping and stuff. I'm with Lefty, camping on the island would be lots of fun. Well at least it seems like it would be.

Paddles, thats been my luck lately. All majority of last summer and again so far this year. I seem to find fishy spots just unable to get any bites. I'll paddle over for a closer look and there they go. Speeding off like they are giving me the bird.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
There are no...I repeat no flounder, reds or specks anywhere within 2 miles of Bear Island. Any rumor that the 5 finalists of the OH BOY OBERTO Championships fished there is just that a vicious malicious rumor. I have spent the better part of 30 years not catching speckled trout, flounder or reds in that area. Again these fish were not caught anywhere near Bear Island and that is not me in the channel behind Bear Island.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Richard that looks just like the hot pink mirro lure that I lost in the sound at Topsail.:eek: Man thats a good bait.

Nice area going to try it this summer and see whats all the hype.

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.