NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im goin to be headed down to morehead city friday after work and will be fishing Saturday Sunday and Monday, im just wondering if anyone has been catching any Spanish out and around the inlet. Also has anybody been catching flounder inside the inlet or will I need to go out to ar-315? And has anyone caught any cobia close in? Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
57 Posts
flounder were in the inlet when i left school a couple weeks ago, id assume there are a lot more now with water warming even more. dont know about others
Brad

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies I can't wait to get down there and try it. I did see somewhere else that they were catching cobia around the hook so if I don't get anything around the inlet I may run down there and give it a try

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I am down here for the week and have been fishing everyday until today when my steering decided to almost strand me at Lookout. There is plenty of bait in the ocean but it is scattered at the water is dirty. If it is still like that later this week I would bottom fish for Cobia. If you plan on fishing this weekend and want to bottom fish, get out early. There will probably 100 boats anchored in the bight/hook yesterday.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Get out of the crowd. I did it Saturday and have no clue as to why. Hooked up with 4 and boated 1....slow day but I had to get out of the crowd and then it was fish on.

Funny story. As soon as we got there and messed with putting baits out. I hear somebody yelling....at me. What sounds like "GAFF EM" as I stand there in a daze trying to figure out whats going on, I look over and there is a 60+ cruising (literally) down the side of my boat. It was the guys fish he had on and he was yelling at me to gaff em. lol

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
You serious, from another boat? I thought you meant just swimming by lol

Get out of the crowd. I did it Saturday and have no clue as to why. Hooked up with 4 and boated 1....slow day but I had to get out of the crowd and then it was fish on.

Funny story. As soon as we got there and messed with putting baits out. I hear somebody yelling....at me. What sounds like "GAFF EM" as I stand there in a daze trying to figure out whats going on, I look over and there is a 60+ cruising (literally) down the side of my boat. It was the guys fish he had on and he was yelling at me to gaff em. lol

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Seems I remember a story about a guy that was fishing solo and free gaffed a cobia. The cobia ended up going ape on the boat and swept the guys feet out from underneath him and knocked him out. Strong fish.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Seems I remember a story about a guy that was fishing solo and free gaffed a cobia. The cobia ended up going ape on the boat and swept the guys feet out from underneath him and knocked him out. Strong fish.
Cobias are a very curious fish and there are more than a few people that make that mistake, when one pops up beside the boat. Take the opportunity to gaff that sucker not knowing what it does upon response.

Their have has been captain chairs knocked out, humans, dogs and many human bones broken due to cobes.

What's funny.....the ONE we got in the boat Saturday, hardly moved at all! I told the guys he had A.D.D and still didn't realize what happened. LOL

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ever watched the guy in Hawaii that does all the Kayak big game fishing? He drags them big cobia right in the yak with him.
Don't try this at home. I think the key is in the gaff. A straight gaff in the top of the noggin first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am down here for the week and have been fishing everyday until today when my steering decided to almost strand me at Lookout. There is plenty of bait in the ocean but it is scattered at the water is dirty. If it is still like that later this week I would bottom fish for Cobia. If you plan on fishing this weekend and want to bottom fish, get out early. There will probably 100 boats anchored in the bight/hook yesterday.
I was fishing the same area yesterday. You may have seen me I was in a older white mako cc.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Might have I was in a 96 mako CC. Sounds like our boats our cousins. Those things are built like tanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I caught mine on frozen menhaden. Fresh or live is best but I couldn't find any to net. Some of the more experienced guys may chime in here but that's what I was using.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We have been catching flounder but if you can run a little I would recommend moving to some of the less fished wrecks or rocks. Yesterday on a small rock Scott had 15 with 3-4 over 20 inches. We will be out there Saturday on 68 and 18. Hope to talk to some of you guys out there. My guys get tired of talking me after a couple hours :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts