NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was gearing up in the parking lot at South Mountains, I realized I left my main fly box with almost all of my nymphs at home. Fortunately, I had a few baetis nymphs as well as plenty of streamers. I also used a strike indicator for the first time and really started paying attention to using split shot to get my fly down to the bottom, which has probably been my biggest problem when nymphing. I started with a yarn indicator but after the eighth time it sank, I switched to a Fish Pimp foam indicator.

Even with my new (to me, at least) strategies, nothing was biting. The only fish I saw today was a minnow near the bank. No one else seemed to be catching anything, either. But even still, South Mountains is a great place to get skunked. And, ya know, the fudge from the little general store at the intersection of 27 and 18 makes everything better.

Hope some of you caught something today!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love mine too. It's all I use.

Sent from my kayak...
With that said, if someone ever bought me the bamboo rod for sale at my favorite fly shop in Hickory, I certainly wouldn't turn them down....

On a serious note, this is the fourth time in a row that I've been skunked at South. I was starting to think it was just me, and not getting my fly down far enough. But no one else that I've seen has been catching anything, either.

Some have said poaching is a problem, others say the fish have "been washed out." I think part of the problem is that the river cannot support all of the stockers and they just die off. That, and all of the pressure. If a fish is fighting six or seven anglers a day, almost seven days a week, surely that takes a toll?

Anyone care to weigh in on what the issue(s) may be?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
With that said, if someone ever bought me the bamboo rod for sale at my favorite fly shop in Hickory, I certainly wouldn't turn them down....

On a serious note, this is the fourth time in a row that I've been skunked at South. I was starting to think it was just me, and not getting my fly down far enough. But no one else that I've seen has been catching anything, either.

Some have said poaching is a problem, others say the fish have "been washed out." I think part of the problem is that the river cannot support all of the stockers and they just die off. That, and all of the pressure. If a fish is fighting six or seven anglers a day, almost seven days a week, surely that takes a toll?

Anyone care to weigh in on what the issue(s) may be?
The factors you mentioned certainly take their toll. I still am hesitant to say places are devoid of fish or they've all been poached or died. Lots of reports of different streams/rivers end up sounding like this and it just isn't so. I think some guys get used to the easier catchings of the early stockings maybe and when it gets tougher then they point the finger at whatever is easiest to lay the blame on. I've found that small things go a long way. Patience and paying attention. Switching things up when action is slow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt that the Jacob's Fork is devoid of fish; there are certainly some in there, but they're pretty darn good at hiding. Mind you, I'm talking about the DH portion. I usually don't make it to the wild waters, despite my best intentions. I made it up a there little way yesterday, but stopped after deciding I didn't want to go rock climbing.

I still think I'm not getting my flies down far enough, and I'm not a very good judge of what to use. The past two times I've found myself turning over rocks to find live nymphs to match, but haven't found many. Yesterday, the only nymphs I had were size 22 baetis and a size 18 GRHE, and then my streamers.

I'm heading back up Friday with all my flies and will report back.

The factors you mentioned certainly take their toll. I still am hesitant to say places are devoid of fish or they've all been poached or died. Lots of reports of different streams/rivers end up sounding like this and it just isn't so. I think some guys get used to the easier catchings of the early stockings maybe and when it gets tougher then they point the finger at whatever is easiest to lay the blame on. I've found that small things go a long way. Patience and paying attention. Switching things up when action is slow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On an unrelated note, much of my fishing life is lived vicariously through your photos!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.