NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now... I know ya didnt ask "what are they":rolleyes::eek:

GROUPAH's!!!

dont know where/when he got them... saw he posted the pic, but didnt see a report... so thought I'd "stir" the pot to get some info out of him :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Grouper definitely taste better than they look!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Them is Red Groupers. They turn funny colors and shades after they been in the cooler a while.

I'm wondering about them too. He called me last night to see if I wanted to go Speck fishing with him on the New River today (couldn't go cause I had appointments in New Bern) - he didn't catch those on the New River!:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still would like to hear Breadman's story on them nice hogs!!!

They're definately a nice red/orangish color when they come out of the water

here's my bud Brad with his first red (fresh out the water), very nice color to them red/orangish and some white spots. Awesome meat fish!

Here's one I pulled out of some rocks,, nice white spots on it for sure... they've got some nice color to them (the reds do).

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like how them have them brownish markings there around the top and by the dorsal fins.. sure are purdy! ;) Not flashy colorfull like mahi... but I'll take a grupah any day! ;)

Come on Bman!!! suspense is killin me!!! :D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hm. I thought a "gag grouper" was a size, rather than a species... like a "slab" crappie or a "doormat" flounder. Thanks, Dave, now I'll know not to gag on a red grouper!

They are indeed yummy...

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Now... I know ya didnt ask "what are they":rolleyes::eek:
GROUPAH's!!!
It was the red that threw me off. Didn't know until today how many different shades and styles of groupers there are out there beyond the waves. Gonna have to get somebody to show me someday why folks go out there and bob around on top of 'em.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,, I'd take ya Jeff in the blink of an eye.... but kinda boat-less at the current moment...

There's two folks that come to my immediate mind that you know... could take ya groupah tuggin! :cool:

There ya go Kevin! ;) now ya know... :)

Gag and Black are two different species of grouper, Scamp closely resembles reds, but are usually smaller. Warsaw and Jew fish are the largest of the grouper family.

They love living in holes, on reef edges, any kind of structure (i.e. wrecks, corals, man made reefs) and usually arent too picky on what they eat. They're known for their powerfull bursts to get back into whatever hole they were in when they got hooked and they have a steady pull type action.

The hardest part to catching groupah's is to A: find them B: almost be an expert anchor setter - boat placement is a huge factor.

The current could be on the left side of the rock pile and they'll be feedin on the backside of it.. but if you dont have the boat positioned to where you can get your baits to them... they wont spend the effort to travel to the right side. I've witnessed many times one side of the boat will be smokin hot with folks hookin up,, but the other side not doin piddly...

One tip/trick I like to do is not start directly on the bottom, but to start above the rocks, reef and work my way down to them. If I can get mr. groupah to come up a little from the structure to get the bait,, then I have the advantage and can put leverage on him to keep him from gettin back into the structure.

Once they get in the structure... you as the angler have been beat. They'll wedge themselves in by flaring their gills and you cant get them out. The only trick I know of is if they get ya... put the rod in a holder, and let out some line and hope he eventually relaxes enough to come out and when he does,, hopefully you're quick enough to catch him.

Groupah diggin is addictive to me... I love it!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Those were reds in the 30's at least. I couldn't hold them both up. May have been bigger. Those were caught with my neighbor Rough and Ready a little while back. He is a member on here as well. We had probably 600+ pounds of them. I have some pics of yellowfins and a 80+ cobia as well. They were not digital, but if I can find them, I will post them in the photos.
"FLOUNDER IS NOT THE ONLY THING BREADMAN KNOWS":D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.