NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Beaver Dam (Falls Lake) early evening 'til dusk. I first checked out Falls, thinking I could sneak on late w/o any traffic. What a joke! There might have been 100(?) parking spaces filled and that lake looked like a zoo.

So I launched at the pay launch on BD, first time lauching my boat myself and must have got lucky, worked without any hangups. (Almost forgot the plug though! Had a friend meet me out there later in the evening, so I didn't need to worry about putting it on the trailer w/o help.)

Anyway the important stuff - Had my best day fishing in North Carolina in a long time, best day outside of private ponds. I caught about 12-14 in 3 hours or so, all on a Medium depth cranks on main shorelines and a few main points. Lost a few too, including the biggest (about a 3-4 pounder I'd estimate). All were bass except 1 white bass. Ranged from 8 - 16+ inches.

Great day for me, especially in my own boat. My buddy caught a few on a topwater near the ramp, both of those were nice too, 1 was probably keeper size (16").

I think I've convinced myself that this is the lake to fish when I only have a few hours, or just want to practice launching. No gas motors, very little traffic of any kind. I've heard there's a free launch area as well if you've got a boat light enough to drag/carry a very short distance.

I'll try to sneak up a few times after work this week and post results here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got front-ended!!! I swear that's what it was :)

Nah man, he was on them today, and that was killer, we've had a terrible track record lately, talk about a confidence booster :) And on his own boat too. felt nice to just ride around, not have to do anything but chunk and wind.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Good deal Zman - way to break that boat in! I haven't fished Beaverdam in years. Got a gas boat in '99 that I took to Falls all the time until last year. Got kind of burned out on the same water all the time. Almost chucked everything and returned to golf, but got the kayak bug and have been trying to visit different waters (crossing some part of Falls every trip since I live up this way). May be time to let Beaverdam back into the rotation...

Post some pics of the boat, especially if you do anything cool to it - no doubt you can get some ideas from dampeoples. (I think an airbrush job would be just the ticket!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dampeoples has given me all the advice for modifications. I might do a little work on it. Maybe at least put in a livewell and a small storage area for tackle.

Definitely spend some time on Beaver Dam. Much better than dealing with the nuts on Falls I would think. I'm sure the fishing is better at BD on weekends when the fish on Falls are just dizzy from all the boats on the water.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
My problem with beaverdam when I had access to a smaller elec-only boat was always the hours at the park. 8am is long past my favorite launch time... Not a problem now for the kayak - just dump in off Old Weaver Rd anytime.

Is your boat small enough to manage launching a short distance away from the trailer? I can't recall exactly how close you could get a trailer, but I seem to remember hoisting my buddy's boat about 20' down from his trailer to the water (10 year old memory - objects may be smaller or larger than actual!)

Gonna have to take a detour back there on the way to/from work tomorrow myself and reintroduce myself to the area.

(Smart guy would take a digital camera to show folks what its like back there... If I run into one while I'm out, I'll ask him to take some pics and post them out here!:))

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a row of fenceposts that have a cable running through them, which from time to time, someone will come along and disconnect, leaving ample room to back in. We never used that method until last year, and have since stopped, as some of the other guys had a run-in with the rangers. It's not us (The JBFC) lowering the cable, but it's still lowered from time to time.

One method for launching just about any boat is PVC pipe, lay three pieces on the ground, life the boat off the trailer, and roll it all to the water, only needing to pick up the boat to get it off, and back on the trailer. The winch can handle the rest of the load, and the boat never has to be drug on the ground. On Z-man's boat, a 2 man crew can easily launch his boat with the batteries removed, though, and the PVC can be managed solo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Beaver Dam 6/7

BEAVER DAM 6/7

Fished BD again last night from my boat, about 5:30 - 8:30. Me and a buddy caught about 7-8, had a few come off at the boat. All bass except 1 white bass or white perch. Ranged from 6" to 16". Mostly on mid to shallow cranks, real tight to cover, right up on shore. Biggest one came on a Senko near a stick up in about 5'.

Nothing on the topwater near dusk. Tons of massive fish surfacing and swirling in the shallows close to the bridge, I'm positive they were carp in the grass, we saw some that must have been 3 feet but it the water was pretty stained, didn't see for sure.

So not as good as last week, I probably should have found some deeper structure but with limited time I just tried the spots that worked before. Hope to get out there again next week.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
...Gonna have to take a detour back there on the way to/from work tomorrow myself and reintroduce myself to the area.

(Smart guy would take a digital camera to show folks what its like back there... If I run into one while I'm out, I'll ask him to take some pics and post them out here!:))
FYI - I did get back and took some pics of the Old Weaver launch. Posted an entry in the NC Boat Ramps section of the Boating Forum:
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f84/old-weaver-launch-beaverdam-rec-area-3650.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Beaver Dam 6/22 - 6/24

Spent plenty of time on BD this past weekend. I'm seeing more and more kayaks and other paddling type vessels, any of you guys making your way out there?!

6/22
Whoever said a bad day fishing beats a good day at work is full of it! Friday we got to the lake around 5 p.m., we sat at the launch for over an hour waiting for the rain and lightning to pass. Then I notice something happened to my car. My gear shift got stuck in park and would not come out (Toyota 4Runner Automatic). I woulda been stuck there, possibly for the rest of my life if it weren't for my buddy who made a call to a mechanic type friend in our jon boat club. He instructed us and helped with a quick fix. Never did get on the water thanks to the t-storms, and every time I drive my car I gotta stick a key in a slot next to the gear shift to get it out of park. Gotta get this looked at soon.

I guess one could argued I never did fish, so I can't say the old good day at work cliche for this trip. But believe me, I have disproved the addage before!

6/23
The car problems didn't stop me from going out Saturday. Took my boat out from about 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. I fished about 5 hours w/o a strike, tried all the points and banks where I've caught them as noted in my original post above.

Tried c-rigs and cranks, tried out my new depthfinder (a freebie a friend gave me, it's from about 1972 and looks like an Atari) and tried to find 'em deep. Finally 5 hours in I get a solid strike and set into what looked like a 6-pound plus large mouth. He got off at the boat. :(

But I did manage one a bit later, keeper size (16") and a third (12") around 4 p.m. on a medium crank. That was about it. Got a nasty sunburn as well.

6/24
Much better day today. Went out with my jon boat club team partner to pre-fish for an upcoming tourney. We got out around 7:30 and there was plenty of activity right out of the cove of the primitive launch. We got a few there white bass/hybrids there, nailed a nice I striper or a hybrid striper on a medium crank. Had a few bigger ones follow it all the way to the boat too. Caught about a 12" bass on it as well.

We moved after a while and tried some of the usual spots, and spent some time trying to search for some holes we located on the map/gps. Eventually we start hitting some banks, and we got about 5-6 bass slow fishing. I'd say about 3-4 of those bass were at or around 3 pounds. Lost a few at the boat too.

Not a bad day, off the water by 1:30. It's slow out there in this heat, but I guess there are fish to be caught with the right presentations. We talked to a few other boats in the club. A few guys caught about 27 pounds (best 5) on Saturday, including one over 8. Wish I had fished out of their boat!

I'll be out there a few times this week for some evening fishing as well!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. What type of boat do you have?:D
I fished Beaver Dam (Falls Lake) early evening 'til dusk. I first checked out Falls, thinking I could sneak on late w/o any traffic. What a joke! There might have been 100(?) parking spaces filled and that lake looked like a zoo.

So I launched at the pay launch on BD, first time lauching my boat myself and must have got lucky, worked without any hangups. (Almost forgot the plug though! Had a friend meet me out there later in the evening, so I didn't need to worry about putting it on the trailer w/o help.)

Anyway the important stuff - Had my best day fishing in North Carolina in a long time, best day outside of private ponds. I caught about 12-14 in 3 hours or so, all on a Medium depth cranks on main shorelines and a few main points. Lost a few too, including the biggest (about a 3-4 pounder I'd estimate). All were bass except 1 white bass. Ranged from 8 - 16+ inches.

Great day for me, especially in my own boat. My buddy caught a few on a topwater near the ramp, both of those were nice too, 1 was probably keeper size (16").

I think I've convinced myself that this is the lake to fish when I only have a few hours, or just want to practice launching. No gas motors, very little traffic of any kind. I've heard there's a free launch area as well if you've got a boat light enough to drag/carry a very short distance.

I'll try to sneak up a few times after work this week and post results here.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Souns like the trials of fishing my friend... Try the deep hole around Old Weaver rd bridge.. Carolina rig worm in pumkinseed with slow presentation along the rocks.. or "pig n jig" crawfish...

Reactions: Zman

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Sundrop.........Can you enlighten me with your knowledge of catching catfish up at Beaver Dam? You might have a ready given me this information awhile back but I can't remember. Seems to me that you said it's been a while since you've been there............ thanks!:confused:
Souns like the trials of fishing my friend... Try the deep hole around Old Weaver rd bridge.. Carolina rig worm in pumkinseed with slow presentation along the rocks.. or "pig n jig" crawfish...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I noticed a reference in an earlier post to stripers or hybrids -- are there indeed stripers or hybrids in beaver dam? if so, has anyone caught them consistently there?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well you seem to be doing good with it. At least are catching fish.

I have a little no-name aluminum jon boat. I've been told it's both 12' and 14', I don't know which and I never bother to measure. Fits 2 pretty comfortably with room for a livewell and storage if I had any clue how or time to fix it up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed a reference in an earlier post to stripers or hybrids -- are there indeed stripers or hybrids in beaver dam? if so, has anyone caught them consistently there?
I'm always hearing abotu folks catching them, but have never seen anyone go specifically to catch them there.

Guess the Striper guys don't have jon boats!

At least Z-man didn't rub in the fact that he spanked me Sunday :) He's got all the confidence at that lake, and I have none, shame he wont' be there for the Tx this time!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Hey Sundrop.........Can you enlighten me with your knowledge of catching catfish up at Beaver Dam? You might have a ready given me this information awhile back but I can't remember. Seems to me that you said it's been a while since you've been there............ thanks!:confused:
Glenn, I never did alot of cattin' at BD, I used to do most of that at Nutbush. I have caught a few at BD but I was usually fishing minnows deep for crappie. The rockpiles along the roadsides and the deep holes under the bridges are your best bet for channel cat. Hit the backwaters and swampy areas with alot of downed timber for Flatheads, but watch out for big moccasins !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.